To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Nottingham Forest Promoted To The Premier League After Beating Huddersfield In The Championship Play-Off Final

Rory O'Callaghan

| Last updated 

Nottingham Forest Promoted To The Premier League After Beating Huddersfield In The Championship Play-Off Final

Nottingham Forest have secured promotion back to the Premier League after beating Huddersfield Town 1-0 in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

An own goal from Huddersfield defender Levi Colwill was enough to secure victory for Forest, who return to the top flight of English football for the first time since suffering relegation in the 1998-99 season.

The victory caps a remarkable turnaround in fortunes for Forest, who were bottom of the Championship with just one point from seven matches when Steve Cooper was appointed head coach in September.

It also ends a nine-match winning run for Huddersfield, who had two strong claims for a penalty turned down in the second half and must now plan for another season in the second tier.

Forest started the stronger of the two teams and went close in the 11th minute of the match when Ryan Yates headed a free-kick narrowly wide of the post.

Yates then powered a shot over the bar from outside the box as Cooper's side looked to find the opening goal.

Sorba Thomas then went close for Huddersfield but his shot was saved by Forest goalkeeper Brice Samba, before Terriers forward Danny Ward headed a corner wide.

Forest would take the lead shortly before half-time when Colvill inadvertently diverted James Garner's dangerous cross into his own net.

In the second half, Brennan Johnson came close to giving Forest a two-goal lead when his shot fizzed wide of Huddersfield goalkeeper Lee Nicholls' post.

Huddersfield had a strong shout for a penalty turned down on 73 minutes when Harry Toffolo appeared to be tripped inside the area by Jack Colback.

Despite replays appearing to show slight contact, Jon Moss booked Toffolo for diving and was not instructed to overturn his decision by VAR.

Huddersfield had another penalty claim shortly afterwards when Lewis O'Brien tangled with Max Lowe, but again Moss decided not to award a spot kick.

Forest goalkeeper Samba was then forced off with an injury to set up a nervy finish at Wembley.

But Forest held on to secure a hard-fought 1-0 victory, ensuring the two-time European champions will finally return to the Premier League after 23 years away.

Featured Image Credit: PA Images

Topics: Nottingham Forest, Huddersfield, Huddersfield Town, EFL Championship, Premier League, Football

Rory O'Callaghan
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


'Parallel world' – fans are shocked at Lionel Messi's reaction to Sergio Ramos' brilliant header for PSG vs Marseille

3 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Manchester United produce sensational second-half comeback to draw against Leeds at Old Trafford

4 hours ago