Thousands of fans were once again protesting against the Glazer family and attempted to disrupt the fixture for a second time whenpictures showed Liverpool's official bus being blocked on a side street near the Hyatt Regency hotel the team were staying at.
The tyres on the vehicle, which featured Liverpool's crest, were also punctured, before a police escort was provided just after 6pm following the stoppage.
But it later emerged that Jurgen Klopp and his Liverpool squad were not on the bus. Instead, it was a Line of Duty style decoy that duped supporters.
Liverpool players are in. Red coach was a decoy. Round back entrance away from protesting fans outside normal entrance #MUFC pic.twitter.com/lzzYM0krhE
- Laurie Whitwell (@lauriewhitwell) May 13, 2021
The Liverpool team coach has belatedly arrived at Old Trafford #LFC pic.twitter.com/FdWm9KcONK
- James Pearce (@JamesPearceLFC) May 13, 2021
These are the Liverpool FC buses coming into Old Trafford with their police escort pic.twitter.com/cZtwGnyLO1
- Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceTel) May 13, 2021
The actual bus carrying the Reds took a different route that meant they avoided supporters at the John Gilbert Way entrance and were able to access the stadium with relative ease just before 7pm.
Sky Sports posted a video of the visitors arriving for the match on social media.
The Liverpool team have arrived at Old Trafford for their big game with Manchester United :bus:pic.twitter.com/Qbs3Q25mLI
- Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) May 13, 2021
As a result, no postponement is necessary and the game will go ahead as planned at 8.15pm.
In a bid to avoid a repeat scenario from 2 May, United players players arrived at the stadium SIX hours early and drove their own cars as opposed to being transported from the Lowry Hotel as normal.
Two buses did dummy runs to further deceive United supporters.
- Manchester United target backed to thrive at Old Trafford with "no doubt" claim
- Manchester United fans threaten to leave Old Trafford empty for Liverpool clash
- Liverpool sale set to "complicate" potential Manchester United takeover, here's why
- Ronaldo 'very tempted' by move to Manchester United's rivals, this wouldn't go down well at Old Trafford