Super Club's Jadon Sancho Approach Swiftly Shut Down By Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund have revealed that they swiftly rejected an approach made by a 'super club' for the highly rated Jadon Sancho.
The English winger, 19, put Europe's biggest clubs on notice after a superb season in the Bundesliga last term.
But Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke claims that the club stood firm on their position towards Sancho, who is under contract until 2022.
"A chief of one of the super clubs asked me back in spring if there was a chance [to sign Sancho], but I told him straight away he should forget about it and he never contacted me again," the 60-year-old German told Dortmund newspaper Ruhr Nachrichten.
"He knew I meant what I said."
While Watzke didn't reveal which club made an approach from him earlier this year, Sancho had been heavily linked with Manchester United in recent months.
The England international made 43 appearances across all competitions last season, scoring 13 times and assisting an impressive 19 times.
And the Dortmund starlet picked up his first honour with the club earlier this month, as he scored in their 2-0 German Super Cup victory over Bayern Munich.
According to Watzke, the club will try to make Sancho commit his long-term future in Germany at the end of the new season.
"There aren't many 19-year-olds with such a potential," he explained.
"He is also not a player from the region or one who would have any connection to it.
"When you have a player like Jadon Sancho, you must reassess the situation every single year.
"Everything else would not be honest.
"If a foreign player is not convinced that the club is right for him at the exact time, it just does not make any sense."
Dortmund will kick off their Bundesliga campaign on Saturday when they host Augsburg at the Westfalenstadion.
Should Sancho leave Dortmund?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA