Zlatan Ibrahimovic Banned For Two Games After Grabbing Keeper By The Throat
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has landed himself in hot water with the MLS after he grabbed the opposition keeper's throat.
The MLS Disciplinary Committee has slapped the Swedish striker with a two-game ban following his actions in the 86th minute of Galaxy's match against New York City FC last weekend.
Ibrahimovic and New York City FC stopper Sean Johnson were involved in a bit of argy-bargy with the ex-Manchester United star grabbing him by the throat, before throwing him to the floor.
A bizarre incident in MLS involving Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Sean Johnson.
The result? A yellow card each. pic.twitter.com/sPoIeGfSG9
- ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) May 12, 2019
- Zlatan loses it!@LAGalaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been suspended for two games and issued an undisclosed fine for grabbing the opposition 'keeper's neck and throwing him to the deck! :flushed:
Full story: https://t.co/ioLfqmN9lm pic.twitter.com/tnmOf5nQ9B
- Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) May 18, 2019
The 37-year-old, who has weighed in with nine goals this season, will miss Sunday's match versus Colorado Rapids and next weekend's fixture at Orlando City.
Needless to say, his latest incident sent social media into overdrive. Here's some reaction from Twitter:
To be fair, keeper threw himself on the ground
- Burkhill (@PaulBurkhill123) May 18, 2019
the neck grabbed zlatan
- spencer :beginner: (@cactusboythe1st) May 18, 2019
The freak strikes again. Very very odd bloke.
- Jack (@JackNic35198630) May 18, 2019
He will claim that the neck grabbed him
- Daniel Jenks (@DanielJenks89) May 18, 2019
Keeper made a proper meal out of it tbf
- Joe (@Joe_Mallinson11) May 18, 2019
A bit soft
- Double Walrus (@jorgehedley) May 18, 2019
It's not the first time Ibrahimovic has been embroiled in controversy. He had a heated bust-up with former Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha earlier in the season.