sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mesut Ozil Responds To His Suspension From Fenerbahce
Home>Football
Updated 15:27 25 Mar 2022 GMTPublished 15:02 25 Mar 2022 GMT

Mesut Ozil Responds To His Suspension From Fenerbahce

Ozil has been suspended by Fenerbahce for a falling out with the Super Lig side's interim manager but has shown his support for them.

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mesut Ozil has responded following his suspension from club Fenerbahce, after he fell out with the club's interim manager Ismail Kartal.

On Thursday, Turkish side Fenerbahce released a statement, revealing that he, and teammate Ozan Tufan, had been 'excluded' from the squad.

Ozil had started the previous weekend's game against Konyaspor but the captain was pulled off at half time, with the team going on to win 2-1.

Now the former Arsenal midfielder has taken to social media to respond, posting a picture of the Fenerbahce and Turkey flags side-by-side.

Along with the picture is a caption saying, "The main thing is Fenerbahce," in support of the team.

Aslolan Fenerbahçe'dir :pray::yellow_heart::blue_heart:

"Our 'Football A Team' players Mesut Ozil and Ozan Tufan have been excluded from the squad as per the decision taken," the statement from the club original said.

However there were little details from the Istanbul side about why the 33-year-old and Tufan, who was on loan at Watford until January, had been 'excluded' from the team.

Later it was claimed that the former Real Madrid star had fallen out with Kartal, who took over from Vitor Pereira at the end of last year.

One report said that the creative number 10 had been 'physically incompetent' at the weekend and was unable to live up to the intensity of the game.

Ozil playing for Fenerbahce recently. Image: PA Images
Ozil playing for Fenerbahce recently. Image: PA Images

Ozil has had injuries recently, and missed the first eight games of the year with a problem with his lower back, but returned at the beginning of March.

The former Arsenal man played just five minutes on return and then 74 minutes in the 5-2 win against Alanyaspor, scoring in the process, before his 45 minutes at the weekend.

It's not exactly the first time that the World Cup winner has fallen out with his team, having done it at Arsenal and with the national team.

He was completely left out of the Gunners' side when football returned after the break caused by Coronavirus in 2020.

Ozil was seen sat in the stands but very rarely played for Mikel Arteta's side at the time, before going on to blame his exile from the team on the fact he'd made negative comments about China.

Ozil sat in the stands with no fans around. Image: PA Images
Ozil sat in the stands with no fans around. Image: PA Images

He finally moved to Fener in January 2021, after having his contract at Emirates Stadium terminated six months early.

Ozil also fell out with the national team, and retired from international duty, after citing racism and disrespect towards him.

His contract at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium doesn't expire until 2024 so he will be hoping his removal from the team right now is a situation that can be resolved.

With the interim manager leaving in the summer it could be that he only has to wait out until the next man to take charge of Fenerbahce.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: fenerbahce, Super Lig, Mesut Ozil, Turkey

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a writer for SPORTbible. He covers all sport from football, formula one, cricket, rugby, tennis, athletics, mma and wrestling. He obviously hates YOUR football team and has no interest in synchronised swimming.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

    The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football