And following the final whistle, they had a classy exchange with the six-time Ballon d'Or winner swapping shirts with the 29-year-old goalkeeper.
Catalan-born Badia cut a shocked figure and looked star struck as Messi asked for his jersey.
He hastily whipped off his keeper top and presented it to Messi who grinned through the entire exchange in a classy sequence.
Es Messi pero también quiere tu camiseta, @edgarbadia
:grinning::grinning::grinning: #LaCasaDelFútbol pic.twitter.com/NmeDqOSSJf
- Fútbol en Movistar+ (@MovistarFutbol) February 24, 2021
One Twitter user reacted by saying: "Very sweet," while another tweeted: "That's fantastic." A third added: "Love it."
Messi scored two goals past Badia with the win moving Barcelona to 50 league points, five points behind league leaders Atletico Madrid.
He now has 18 La Liga goals to his name this season, making him the league's top scorer ahead of former teammate Luis Saurez who has 16 league goals.
Featured Image Credit: Movistar
- Saudi Arabia goalkeeper told Lionel Messi where to put his penalty, he made him look a fool
- Lionel Messi used his 'favourite pass' against Poland, it's programmed into him at this point
- Lionel Messi has perfected incredible free-kick technique that involves 'spraining his ankle'
- 'Prime' Former Barcelona Player Recalls How Lionel Messi Tormented Him When He Tried To Mark Him For First Time