| Last updated
Inter Milan's players and staff have been asked to give up their salaries for two months - just over a week after they won Serie A.
After a stunning season, Antonio Conte's side have won the club's first Scudetto since 2010 and have ended Juventus' dominant run of nine straight titles.
They haven't yet lifted the trophy and president Steven Zhang has asked the squad if they can freeze their wages because of the club's dire financial situation, Sky Sport Italia say.
The Nerazzurri are strapped for cash and it's said that Zhang held a 45 minute meeting with the team this morning to discuss the matter.
Inter Milan president Steven Zhang held a meeting today between the team and management and asked the squad to give up two months wages as a result of the club's financial issues. (Source: Sky Sport) pic.twitter.com/BnRcXbvW01- Transfer News Live (@DeadlineDayLive) May 10, 2021
Zhang will now need to meet individually with the players to talk things through more thoroughly, but Inter decided to cancel Conte's pre-Roma press conference following the news.
There has been talk for a brief while now that Inter players would have to pass up bonus payments for winning the league, however CEO Beppe Marotta confirmed those bonuses will be paid.
Speaking to Sky Sport Italia prior to the 5-1 win over Sampdoria, he said: "Today is a time of great celebration for everyone, it is right that Conte and the team especially enjoy it. I can clearly say that there are no tensions.
"But I can confirm that talks with individual players will start next week to discuss with the players the issues of football in general and of Inter in the light of the pandemic that has created so many problems.
"In the meantime, I confirm that the bonuses will be respected and paid out because they are the result of a well-deserved achievement by the entire technical team. It is right that the club recognises it. For the rest, it is a snapshot of where football is at the moment."
According to a report from La Gazzetta dello Sport, as per Football Italia, Inter will save a whopping €25 million if the players agree to the request from the board.
Last week, Inter legend and current director Javier Zanetti acknowledged the club have "serious financial problems" and "it could take a couple of years to rediscover that balance".
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read