| Last updated
In a sensational story coming out of Germany, the Stuttgart striker known as Silas Wamangituka is revealed to have been playing under a false identity.
The player enjoyed a fine campaign in the Bundesliga last term, scoring 11 goals and being voted as the league's "rookie of the season" for his displays.
But on Tuesday, Stuttgart have revealed their top scorer is actually called Silas Katompa Mvumpa and is in fact 22 years of age.
:information_source: VfB striker Silas Wamangituka recently made it known to the club that he had been the victim of manipulation by his former player agent and that Wamangituka is not his real name. #VfBhttps://t.co/b2n8W0H9LE
- VfB Stuttgart_int (@VfB_int) June 8, 2021
Documents had the DR Congo-born striker down as being 21 but the club have confirmed his birthday is actually 6 October 1998.
The German outfit revealed all the details regarding the quite incredible situation and backed Silas, who claims he was pressured into changing his data after a former agent obtained access to his bank account and gained possession of his passport.
This happened when Silas was a teenager ahead of a trial with Belgian side Anderlecht in 2017. The team wanted to sign him before his visa expired.
He went on to live with his agent, who took the majority of his salary and told him he would not be able to play football again if he went against him.
Silas was scared that his family would be put in danger if he did not stay silent, but now, with the backing of his employers, he has bravely told his remarkable story.
"I have lived in constant fear in recent years and I was also very worried about my family in the Congo. It was a difficult step for me to reveal my story," he said in a statement on Stuttgart's official website.
"I only dared to do this with the support of my new consultants. I realised that I no longer have to be afraid and that we can put everything on the table together.
"I wouldn't have dared to take this step if Stuttgart, my team and VfB hadn't become a second home for me where I feel safe. Today I am very relieved, and I hope that I can also encourage other players who have had similar experiences with agents.
"I am deeply grateful to VfB Stuttgart for all the trust and support they have shown during this time."
As of a few days ago, he now has a valid Congolese passport with his details corrected, while Stuttgart are working with the German football authorities to ensure the matter is resolved and the player can continue playing with his real name.
They are also looking at taking taking legal action against the former representative, who has not been named.
"Silas remains the player and the person who has played his way into the hearts of our fans and his teammates since he was here in Stuttgart," the club's sporting director Sven Mislintat added.
"In terms of the name change, he is above all a victim. We will protect him accordingly. I have great respect for the fact that at his young age he was almost on his own and without knowing the consequences he dared to take the step to clarify his situation.
"We will continue to help him in every way possible. Silas is part of the VfB family. He should also play football for VfB Stuttgart in the coming season as soon as he has recovered from his cruciate ligament tear."
Silas has been with Stuttgart since joining from Paris FC in 2019 and has made 58 appearances, scoring 21 goals.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read