sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mali Training Suspended Before AFCON Game After Gun Battle Breaks Out
Home>Football
Updated 13:21 12 Jan 2022 GMTPublished 13:00 12 Jan 2022 GMT

Mali Training Suspended Before AFCON Game After Gun Battle Breaks Out

Yves Bissouma and Moussa Djenepo are amongst the Mali players who saw their training suspended just before the Tunisia game.

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mali had to suspend their training session ahead of their opening game of the Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday, after gun fighting broke out between government forces and rebels.

Forces are said to have stormed into a town in west Cameroon, near the Limbe training base being used by both Mali and Gambia for the tournament.

According to the Cameroon News Agency, via the Daily Mail, the Mali team had to suspend a training session, just hours before they were due to face Tunisia.

Fireworks go off after Cameroon opened the tournament with a win. Image: PA Images
Fireworks go off after Cameroon opened the tournament with a win. Image: PA Images

Premier League stars Yves Bissouma and Moussa Djenepo are amongst those who are in Cameroon with the Mali team.

Two people died during the gunfire government forces and separatists, with five more injured, according to local reports, in an area that has been heavily manned with army checkpoints on the way linto Limbe.

"The Malian team has suspended training and left the Molyko stadium," the Cameroon news agency reported, "Two civilians (men) have been found dead at the Buea Central market following exchanges of gunshots between Ambazonia and government forces."

Separatist poster calling for no games in the west of the country and threatening authorities. Image: Daily Mail
Separatist poster calling for no games in the west of the country and threatening authorities. Image: Daily Mail

Rebels had objected to the hosting of games in the western part of the country and they have already claimed responsibility for the attacks, having previously threatened violence.

Speaking to the Mail, Blaise Chamango, a human rights worker in the area, said, "There were gun shots this morning around the town. We also got information there was an improvised explosive device at the market.

"The [separatist] groups and security forces were fighting in the area.

"The non state groups want to create the impression that nothing should take place in the south west region [of Cameroon during the Afcon]."

Cameroon fans wave at fans after their win. Image: PA Images
Cameroon fans wave at fans after their win. Image: PA Images

The tournament, which was originally supposed to take place last January but was delayed due to Covid, kicked off on Sunday.

The hosts beat Burkina Faso 2-1, with the game starting with an incredibly bad challenge after just 25 seconds, but it's yet to be lit up since.

In nine games, from Sunday to the end of Tuesday, there were just nine goals scored in total, with two 0-0 draws and plenty of 1-0s too.

Featured Image Credit: Journal du Cameroun/PA

Topics: Africa Cup Of Nations, Cameroon

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

7 mins ago
10 mins ago
17 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Getty Images
    7 mins ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 mins ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    17 mins ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Hull City consider legal action hours before Southampton expulsion verdict

    The Tigers are considering taking major legal action to secure promotion to the Premier League.

    Football