sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Journalist claims Liverpool star is "expected to leave" the club after dismal Crystal Palace performance
Home>Football
Published 16:44 27 Feb 2023 GMT

Journalist claims Liverpool star is "expected to leave" the club after dismal Crystal Palace performance

A journalist has claimed a Liverpool midfielder is 'expected to leave' Anfield this summer.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita is expected to leave the club this summer, a journalist has claimed.

Keita's contract at Anfield expires this summer, and there is currently no indication that the Guinea international will extend his five-year stay at the club.

The 28-year-old signed for Liverpool from RB Leipzig for a total fee of £52.75 million in 2018, and helped the club to their sixth Champions League title in his first season at the club, despite missing the final due to injury.

Injury issues have affected the midfielder throughout his time at Anfield, and he missed three months of action between August and November this season due to a serious hamstring injury.

Advert

He has been linked with a move away from the club when his contract expires this summer, with Fabrizio Romano claiming that Barcelona could be an option as his next destination.

Meanwhile, Keita started Liverpool's 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace alongside Jordan Henderson and James Milner on Saturday, with the trio all struggling to exert control over the midfield battle at Selhurst Park. Keita received a yellow card in the first half, and was substituted at half-time by manager Jurgen Klopp.

Journalist claims Keita is expected to leave

Taking to Twitter, The Athletic's Andy Jones wrote: "Not for the first time, a night and performance to forget for Naby Keita. Klopp had no option but to take the midfielder off at HT.

"Unlikely to be his last LFC performance, but expected to leave in the summer, it's tough to see how he starts many more."

Sky Sports Germany reporter Florian Plettenburg claimed last month that Keita was unlikely to sign a new deal at Liverpool.

A return to previous club RB Leipzig may be a possibility. According to German outlet Bild (via Sport Witness), Liverpool rejected an offer from Leipzig for the Guinean midfielder on transfer deadline day. Klopp is said to have personally intervening to ensure he stayed at Anfield until the end of the season.

Plettenburg tweeted: "[Keita] is on verge to leave LFC as a free agent in summer. Contract extension unlikely at this stage.

"Many clubs are interested to sign him. But he won't join Galatasaray. His return to Germany is not excluded."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy / REUTERS/Phil Noble

Topics: Liverpool, Naby Keita, Premier League, Transfers, Jurgen Klopp

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Jurgen Klopp Has Dropped Liverpool Return Hint Amid Crushing Palace Defeat
  • Arne Slot Told He Must Start Liverpool Star Following Crystal Palace Performance
  • Arne Slot Blames Liverpool Star for Late Crystal Palace Winner
  • Four Crystal Palace players could immediately leave club after brutal UEFA Europa League verdict