• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Liverpool's Champions League failure could affect transfer pursuit after manager makes admission

Home> Football

Published 17:35 29 May 2023 GMT+1

Liverpool's Champions League failure could affect transfer pursuit after manager makes admission

This could be a blow to Liverpool.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool may have been handed a blow in their reported pursuit of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Manuel Ugarte after an admission from his club manager, Ruben Amorim.

The Reds are said to hold an interest in the Uruguayan midfielder, with Portuguese outlet Record (via Paisley Gates) claiming that Liverpool were readying a bid for the player earlier this month.

However, Sky Sports reported on Monday that Chelsea were preparing an offer for the 22-year-old following the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino as manager, which was confirmed earlier in the day.

The Blues are said to have held talks with Sporting over the Uruguayan midfielder, although it is unclear whether a formal bid has been made at this stage. PSG also hold an interest in Ugarte.

Advert

But while the presence of two fellow European powerhouses could affect Liverpool's chances of signing the midfielder, they have also been handed a fresh blow courtesy of Amorim.

Amorim sends Ugarte message

Sporting failed to qualify for next season's Champions League via Liga Portugal, finishing in fourth position behind Benfica, Porto and Braga.

They will, therefore, only have the opportunity to play Europa League football, repeating their achievement from the previous season.

Sporting progressed to the quarter-finals of the competition in 2022/23, defeating Arsenal over two legs on penalties at the round of 16 stage.

However, Amorim admitted that playing in the Europa League may not be enough to convince Ugarte to stay.

He told Portuguese outlet O Jogo: "I cannot comment on this issue [Ugarte's future], because it is beyond me. Now, we know that is difficult to keep players like Ugarte.

"Not just one club is interested, but several. Our objective is sell, knowing that we missed the Champions League and it makes everything more difficult. I know what I want for the team and I have already conveyed that to the management."

Those comments may come as a big blow to Liverpool, who are not in the Champions League next season either. Jurgen Klopp's side will play in the Europa League after finishing in a disappointing fifth place in the Premier League table.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Liverpool, Champions League, Premier League, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Sporting Lisbon

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
4 hours ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso rejects return to management after approach from 'chaotic' club

    Xabi Alonso did not last a full season at Real Madrid, having been given the boot following the Supercopa de Espana defeat to Barcelona.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    FIFA tipped for 'Prestianni law' rule change after incident with Vinicius Jr

    Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni was accused of making a racist comment to Real Madrid's Vinicius Jr while covering his mouth.

    Football
  • The Overlap
    9 hours ago

    Ange Postecoglou thanks Roy Keane for 'unbelievable' gesture 26 years ago

    Ange Postecoglou recalled Roy Keane's amazing gesture from their 2000 encounter.

    Football
  • CBS Sports
    11 hours ago

    Thierry Henry's reaction live on CBS to Arsenal conceding injury time equaliser

    Arsenal were held to a 2-2 draw by Wolverhampton Wanderers in dramatic fashion.

    Football
  • Mo Salah transfer bombshell drops just hours before Liverpool vs PSG Champions League clash
  • PSG immediately transfer list two players less than 48 hours after Champions League win as Luis Enrique makes ruthless decision
  • Jamie Carragher reveals why PSG manager Luis Enrique refuses to speak to him ahead of Champions League final
  • Liverpool fans concerned after seeing what Virgil van Dijk did in tunnel after Champions League defeat to PSG