sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
‘Sources have told me’ - Ornstein gives major update on Liverpool takeover
Home>Football
Updated 11:22 16 Nov 2022 GMTPublished 05:30 16 Nov 2022 GMT

‘Sources have told me’ - Ornstein gives major update on Liverpool takeover

David Ornstein has given a major update on the Liverpool takeover.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

David Ornstein has given a major update on the Liverpool takeover and the likelihood the club would be sold to an oil-rich backer.

Last Monday, Ornstein broke in the Athletic that Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) had put the club up for sale and that a full presentation had been prepared for interested parties.

FSG responded with a statement claiming that under the right terms they “would consider new shareholders” provided it was in the “best interests of Liverpool as a club.”

They added: “FSG remains fully committed to the success of Liverpool, both on and off the pitch.”

Advert

This led to speculation and some anxiety over who may purchase the club next. Would it be another US venture capitalist? Or perhaps an oil-rich state?

Is Liverpool being sold to a nation-state?

Several potential buyers have been linked with Liverpool, including the Middle-East-based Dubai International Capital.

Indeed, such a purchase from an oil-rich backer would not sit well with many of the club’s fans or the club's manager Jurgen Klopp. Ornstein however believes that FSG would not sell to a nation-state.

Speaking to Sky Sports, the journalist said: “He's [Klopp] just signed a new long-term contract and, from what we hear, he’s been reassured by the ownership that they’re not going to do this rapidly.

“They’re going to do it – if it happens – to the right people.

“And therefore, I think they would have that moral compass as well, FSG. I don’t think they will want to pass Liverpool into hands they’re not happy with.

“You're already hearing rumours within the industry that they’ve rejected approaches, or they’re not keen to go forward with, expressions of interest from parties that they perhaps don’t feel are the right route.

“And by that, many people would assume a nation-state because we've seen what's happened with Manchester City, Newcastle United, PSG and the sort of level of investment it takes to compete with that investment.

“Jurgen Klopp has almost hinted, in their existing model which is self-sustainable at Liverpool, that they're unable to do that. So it will be interesting for Klopp but I think FSG will be conscious of the same matters.

“But it is going to take someone with extremely deep pockets if it's going to be a full takeover because we're hearing reports of £4 billion which would take them above or around the levels Chelsea went to.”

Mike Gordon to help with the sale

Liverpool director Mike Gordon has taken a back step since Liverpool were put up for sale, with his responsibilities now being undertaken by Reds chief executive Billy Hogan.

Ornstein claimed this is because Gordon - FSG's president - will be “focusing” on the potential sale of the club.

He continued: “You're seeing the signs already that things are starting to change at Anfield because Mike Gordon, who has been in charge of operations on a day-to-day perspective, we reported - it was also in the Boston Globe which is owned by John Henry - that Gordon is going to take a step back and Billy Hogan, the chief executive, is going to be taking on greater responsibility.

“It's been described as a natural evolution but sources have told me that Mike Gordon will be working on the potential sale and focusing on that.

“This is a real situation and we'll have to see how it develops.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Football, Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Manchester City
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola signs off farewell speech by saying something he ‘wasn’t allowed to' as Sky Sports issue apology

    He ended his six-minute speech with an X-rated comment.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    West Ham must play unwanted fixture before next season starts after Premier League relegation

    West Ham have been relegated from the Premier League despite their final-day 3-0 win over Leeds.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Kevin De Bruyne believes Premier League denied him assist record that Bruno Fernandes now holds

    Fernandes surpassed the assist record De Bruyne previously held alongside Thierry Henry on Sunday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    West Ham player has told Nuno Espirito Santo he will 'never play for him again' amid Premier League relegation

    West Ham's situation goes from bad to worse.

    Football
  • David Ornstein drops update on Xabi Alonso, Arne Slot and one key Liverpool player
  • David Ornstein reveals Alexander Isak's true feelings on Liverpool transfer in major update on Newcastle star's future
  • Paul Joyce gives major update on Liverpool signing Alexander Isak as Newcastle price tag revealed
  • Jurgen Klopp Lands New Job 16 Months On From Liverpool Exit