sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Brighton star 'leaves the UK' after being banished from training ahead of Liverpool clash
Home>Football
Updated 17:50 13 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 16:36 13 Jan 2023 GMT

Brighton star 'leaves the UK' after being banished from training ahead of Liverpool clash

A fascinating turn of events.

Joe Adams

Joe Adams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Brighton winger Leandro Trossard has reportedly left the UK after being told he would play no part in Saturday's Premier League match against Liverpool.

The news follows reports that the 28-year-old has been banished from first-team training at Brighton as a result of problems with his attitude.

Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi has revealed that Trossard left a training session early without permission after finding out he wouldn't play against Middlesborough in the FA Cup earlier this month.

"Leandro knows very well my opinion. The last session before the Middlesbrough game, when he understood he wasn't playing, he left the session without saying anything," said the Brighton boss.

Advert

"That isn't good. On Monday I spoke with him and explained I don't like this attitude."

Now, in a further twist of events, the Belgian is reported to have boarded the Eurostar on Friday, with his final destination believed to be his homeland.

Trossard demanding transfer

Trossard is Brighton's joint top scorer this season with seven goals in all competitions, including a hat-trick against Liverpool at Anfield.

The Belgium international is out of contract in the summer, although Brighton hold an option to extend his deal by a further 12 months.

However, the winger is now seeking to leave the Premier League club on a permanent deal, according to a statement released by the player's agency.

"He [Trossard] win't sign a new deal. A transfer is his only solution," read the statement, as reported by Belgian journalist Kristof Terreur.

Tottenham are reportedly keen to sign Trossard, who was part of Belgium's squad at the World Cup in Qatar.

Brighton boss De Zerbi, however, has refused to comment on transfer speculation when questioned, insisting it's not his "problem."

"I don't know about the transfer market, if he wants to change teams or not. It's not my problem. I'm a coach, only a coach and the first 11, while I am the coach, I will decide," said De Zerbi, who confirmed Trossard would not be included in Brighton's squad to face Liverpool.

"I'm not thinking about the transfer market, other teams or other discussions. The only discussion is to play for the team, to work and to run on the pitch.

Trossard is Brighton's top scorer this season (Image: Alamy)
Trossard is Brighton's top scorer this season (Image: Alamy)

"I don't know what the problem is [with Trossard]. I want to be honest because I want to be clear. I'm open with him, I'm open to taking a step back.

"If he wants to play, I'm open to listening to him, but he has to understand that, with me, I only want players who work hard, who play for the team 100 per cent."

Trossard's agent claims player was 'humiliated'

A statement released by Trossard's agent Josy Comhair says the winger is seeking to leave Brighton after feeling "humiliated".

"Before Leandro left for Qatar, it was Brighton's intention to extend his contract, this did not happen as parties did not reach an agreement. Leandro has also indicated he is ready for his next step," read the statement, as reported by Sky Sports.

"After the World Cup there was an altercation at training between Leandro and another player over an inanity. Since then, the trainer has not spoken to Leandro, which is obviously not conducive to the atmosphere, as well as performance-wise.

"Leandro still was a first-eleven player against Southampton and Arsenal but against Everton he was on the bench. In the five substitutions that took place then, he was also not among them and this is without any explanation.

"In the run-up to the match against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, Leandro had already reported calf problems twice. This was the reason he stopped training. This was in consultation with the medical staff.

"Through the physical trainer, Leandro learned that he had to train separately. Last Monday the trainer then grounded Leandro in the group and indicated that he did not want to see him anymore. A trainer who has not communicated directly with his player for four weeks is truly incomprehensible.

"It is also the trainer who has indicated several times that a transfer is the most reasonable solution. It is therefore important that Brighton cooperates with a potential transfer, which is beneficial for both parties."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy & PA

Topics: Brighton And Hove Albion, Premier League, Football, Liverpool

Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Joe is a Journalist for SPORTbible with a primary focus on football. He has previously covered a number of other sports including boxing, rugby and F1. Wishes he was born left-footed.

X

@joeadamsjourno

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Liverpool fans worried after Virgil van Dijk left 'surprised' in training following Brighton defeat
  • Devastating reason why Chelsea starlet had contract terminated after two games with club
  • Premier League club invite MMA fighter to training as 'innovative' tactic explained
  • Liverpool achieve incredible never-before-done record as Arne Slot makes more history vs Brighton

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    PGMO reveal whether Man Utd 'handball' against Nottingham Forest was the wrong decision as update issued

    Bryan Mbeumo handball should have seen Man Utd goal disallowed, admits referees' body

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Spain rocked by fresh World Cup injury worry involving key star as Lamine Yamal set to miss opener

    Yet another selection headache for Luis de la Fuente ahead of the announcement of his 26-man squad on May 25.

    Football