sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Barcelona star says he won't return to club while Xavi is manager
Home>Football>La Liga>FC Barcelona
Updated 07:49 18 Jan 2024 GMTPublished 07:48 18 Jan 2024 GMT

Barcelona star says he won't return to club while Xavi is manager

His Barcelona career looks over.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A Barcelona outcast has ruled out playing for the club again while Xavi is manager.

Barcelona's rejuvenation under Xavi has hit the breaks somewhat this season, with the reigning La Liga champions currently eight points off the pace in the title race.

Sunday's humiliating 4-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup final was the latest setback suffered by the former Barca and Spain midfielder, and the pressure is no really mounting at Camp Nou.

The 43-year-old can take great credit for the work he has done with the club, especially when you consider the financial and on-field mess Barca were in when he arrived in 2021. Despite that, not everyone connected with the club is his biggest fan.

Advert

Sergino Dest was one of the most exciting young prospects around when he joined Barca from Ajax in 2020; the Catalonian side agreed a deal worth up to £23.8 million and gave the then-19-year-old a contract with a €400 million buy-out clause.

However, after showing initial promise Dest fell down the pecking order and his situation only worsened under Xavi last season. In a bid to revive his career the right-back joined PSV Eindhoven on loan last summer, where he has helped the Eredivisie side win all 17 of their games.

Despite impressing in the Netherlands, the USMNT star has ruled out returning to Barcelona while Xavi is still coach.

When asked if he could return to the Camp Nou, Dest told VI: "Only if the situation changes there. Xavi is still there now. So at the moment no, that will be too difficult."

Xavi fumes on the touchline. Image: Getty
Xavi fumes on the touchline. Image: Getty

On the subject of his future, he continued: "I think Barcelona, PSV and I have something to say about that. And right now it's too early to talk about that. Every player has his goals and every player wants to play at the top, that also applies to me.

"In the long term I would like to return to the level where I came from. But a season like this, I just have to enjoy it. So I have my full focus at PSV at the moment. And at the end of the season we will look further. Maybe I'll stay, maybe I'll go."

Dest could well be available for transfer in the summer, as could two other Barcelona stars. According to reports, Xavi would be willing to let one of Ilkay Gundogan or Frenkie de Jong go to raise funds to sign another deep-lying midfielder.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Barcelona, Xavi, La Liga

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • DeFodi Images/Getty
    3 hours ago

    Napoli reject two Premier League offers for Scott McTominay as future takes new twist

    Could we see a homecoming?

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    'Such a massive club...' - Player publicly confirms interest in signing for Man Utd this summer

    United are heavily linked with two midfielders but a third transfer target has spoken out.

    Football
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Six players who could play their final Man Utd game vs Brighton

    Man Utd take on Brighton in their final match of the 2025/26 Premier League season.

    Football
  • MouradDiop92 X
    7 hours ago

    Two PSG players 'refuse to shake hands' during inter-squad friendly before Champions League final

    Paris Saint-Germain's preparation for the Champions League final against Arsenal turned up an unusual flashpoint

    Football
  • Xavi had no doubts when naming the one Premier League club he would have left Barcelona to sign for
  • Barcelona set to poach Premier League star as Robert Lewandowski replacement
  • Marcus Rashford achieves feat last done 41 years ago as Barcelona win La Liga
  • Barcelona star 'ready to go to war' with club for 'leaking info' will 'only terminate contract if they pay huge sum'