sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jurgen Klopp Told He 'Lost' Sadio Mane After He 'Belittled The AFCON Tournament'
Home>Football
Published 16:34 24 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Jurgen Klopp Told He 'Lost' Sadio Mane After He 'Belittled The AFCON Tournament'

""I think the main thing is that Jurgen Klopp lost him..."

Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

​Trevor Sinclair claims Jurgen Klopp 'lost' Sadio Mane when he 'belittled' the African Cup of Nations earlier this year. 

​Senegal manager Aliou Cisse hit out at Klopp ahead of AFCON 2021 following the Liverpool boss' disparaging comments. 

Mane, who was unavailable for Liverpool at the start of the year as he represented his nation, went onto win the tournament. 

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Advert

And Sinclair reckons Klopp had a part to play in the superstar forward's Liverpool exit following his AFCON claim. 

He feels Mane couldn't continue at Liverpool after Klopp took aim at the mid-season competition. 

"I think the main thing is that Jurgen Klopp lost him when he came out and belittled the AFCON tournament which his manager (for Senegal) Aliou Cisse had to come out and defend the AFCON and said 'you were coming second until our African players started playing for you'," he told talkSPORT. 

The former Manchester City player continued by highlighting Mane's charitable gestures in his home country.

He added: "Mane is a man of principles, you’ve seen him buy hospitals, buy schools and all the rest of it in his home town of Senegal and it’s for these reasons I feel Sadio Mane’s thought, you know what, I’m going, I’m leaving the club.

"He’s had a good time, he’s been a club legend but I don’t think he could play on after that."

👀 “Let me tell you why Mane left…”

1️⃣ He was never appreciated
2️⃣ #LFC let his contract go down
3️⃣ Klopp belittled the #AFCON!

🔥 “Mane is a man of principle! It’s for these reasons why he’s left the club.”@Trevor8Sinclair gives 3 major reasons on why Sadio Mane left! 🤯🔴 pic.twitter.com/jMDvM74HFK

— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) June 24, 2022

​Mane's move to Bayern Munich was made official this week. He joins the Bundesliga club in a transfer worth £35.1 million. 

It brings to an end a prolific and trophy-laden six-year spell at Anfield, having scored 120 goals for the club and notably winning the Premier League and the Champions League. 

He'll go down as club legend as he embarks on a new chapter in his legendary career.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Bayern Munich

Topics: Sadio Mane, Jurgen Klopp, Liverpool, Football

Nasir Jabbar
Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar is a journalist at SPORTbible. He graduated from Bath Spa University with a BA in Media Communications. He's a combat sport aficionado and has contributed to MMA websites AddictedMMA and CagePotato. Nasir has covered some of the biggest fights, while interviewing the likes of Conor McGregor, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Darren Till. He's also an avid Bristol City fan.

X

@NasJabbar

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Jurgen Klopp receives shock proposal to return to management
  • Sadio Mane Explains Why He Refused to Walk Off the Pitch With Senegal Teammates
  • Jurgen Klopp Targeted For Wild Return to Management Where He Could Face Liverpool
  • Sadio Mane Explains What Really Happened After Infamous Mo Salah Touchline Row