To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Jesse Lingard has broken his silence over his treatment at Manchester United, after the player's brother criticised the decision not give the midfielder any game time against Brentford.
United faced Brentford on Monday night in their final home game of what has generally been a pretty wretched campaign for the Premier League club.
At times the match felt like more of a testimonial, with Juan Mata given his first start of the season and an ovation as he came off for his final game at Old Trafford, before leaving the club in the summer.
There were also appearances for Nemanja Matic, Edinson Cavani and Phil Jones, who are all expected to leave in the summer, but Lingard didn't make it on.
With the 29-year-old not making a final Old Trafford appearance, his brother took to social media to hit out at the club, calling them classless.
Now the midfielder has made his feelings clear with a picture of himself as a youngster at the club, with a perplexed look on his face, in a not so subtle dig at United.
According to the Manchester Evening News, the decision to bring on Cavani ahead of him left the England international 'dismayed and upset.'
The Uruguayan striker has not been available for much of the season due to injuries and has only played 13 games in the league this campaign.
His most recent appearance before Monday had been as a substitute in the 1-0 loss to Atletico Madrid in the Champions League.
Lingard has only started four games this season for the club, with the recent win over Norwich City only one of two in the league.
Lingard went out on loan last year, after not getting much football in the opening six months of the campaign, joining West Ham United.
His form for the Hammers helped them get into the Europa League, where they've reached the semi finals, and he was expected to join them permanently last summer.
Instead he stayed at Old Trafford after being told that he would be given the chance to get more first team football by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The manager didn't give him much chance before being sacked in November and Ralf Rangnick hasn't used him either, leading to Paul Scholes revealing the midfielder had told him how bad the situation in the dressing room was.
It's a sad ending for a player who has been at the club for over 20 years and played over 200 games for, winning the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read