Surprise name emerges to replace Jeff Stelling as new host of Soccer Saturday
| Last updated
A surprise candidate is reportedly in pole position to replace Jeff Stelling as the new host of Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday.
Last weekend 68-year-old Stelling announced that he will be leaving Sky after 30 years of service.
He said: “It is Groundhog Day, that time of the year when I announce that I am leaving Sky Sports and Gillette Soccer Saturday.
“This time it is true. After 30 fantastic years on Sky, you lot out there have supported me marvellously, as have Sky, but it’s time to give you a break from all the VAR rants and bad gags and over the top celebrations when Hartlepool score a goal and give someone else the chance to do this fantastic job.
“So I’ll be leaving on May 28th, we’ve got a few programmes between now and then, this is the last six hour Saturday Gillette Soccer Saturday… so we’d better get on with it!”
As fans ponder who Stelling’s replacement will be. The Sun have reported that fellow Sky presenter Adam Smith is in pole position to take over the role.
It is believed that Smith was discreetly interviewed for the role alongside Mark Chapman and Julian Warren last year.
A source told the publisher: “Smithy is the frontrunner to take on Jeff’s role. There are a lot of people behind the scenes who are batting for him to get the job.
“Soccer Saturday is a tough gig and it needs a solid broadcaster who is quick on their feet. Stepping into Jeff’s shoes is a massive responsibility but plenty of his colleagues think Smithy is the right person for the job.”
Another insider said: “No decisions have been made yet on Soccer Saturday and discussions are ongoing.”
Stelling’s last appearance on Soccer Saturday will be on 28 May, which is the final weekend of the Premier League.