sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Gary Lineker begins World Cup coverage on BBC with damning monologue, he didn't hold back
Home>Football
Updated 15:27 20 Nov 2022 GMTPublished 15:22 20 Nov 2022 GMT

Gary Lineker begins World Cup coverage on BBC with damning monologue, he didn't hold back

The BBC presenter opened the show with a hard-hitting monologue.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Gary Lineker opened BBC's coverage of this winter's World Cup in Qatar with a hard-hitting monologue that has sparked plenty of comments online.

Host nation Qatar will face Ecuador as the tournament officially begins on Sunday 20 November but questions surrounding the tournament have overshadowed the football side of things.

Throughout the build-up to this winter's tournament, the hosts have been criticised over their attitude towards women and people within the LGBTQ+ community.

In addition, concerns continue to be raised over the country’s treatment of migrant workers, as well as their controversial human rights record.

Advert

BBC presenter Gary Lineker touched on the above in his opening monologue.

"Ever since FIFA chose Qatar back in 2010, the smallest nation to have hosted football's greatest competition has faced some big questions," Lineker said.

"From accusations of corruption in the bidding process to the treatment of migrant workers who built the stadiums, where many lost their lives. Homosexuality is illegal here. Women's rights and freedom of expression are in the spotlight. Also the decision six years ago to switch the World Cup from summer to winter.

"Against that backdrop, there's a tournament to be played. One that will be watched and enjoyed around the world.

"Stick to football say FIFA. Well, we will, for a couple of minutes at least."

Image credit: BBC
Image credit: BBC

Earlier this month, Lineker revealed that thought about boycotting his media duties at the Qatar World Cup due to the controversy surrounding the tournament.

The former England striker revealed to iNewspaper that he thought about neglecting his media duties for the BBC for this tournament, and said that he opted to not be a part of the draw.

“I thought about boycotting the World Cup but we’re there to report on it, not support it,” the Match of the Day presenter said.

“I was asked to do the draw for the finals but I didn’t because that would make me hypocritical.”

Qatar was given the honour of hosting the tournament back in 2010, when they received a full backing from Football's world governing body FIFA.

However, the President at the time, Sepp Blatter, has recently come out and revealed that the awarding to Qatar was a 'mistake' and a 'bad choice'.

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

The 86-year-old, who served as the eighth president of FIFA from 1998 to 2015, spoke to Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger about a range of subjects, including the decision to award Qatar the world's biggest sporting event in 2010.

"The choice of Qatar was a mistake," he told Swiss publication Tages-Anzeiger.

"At the time, we actually agreed in the executive committee that Russia should get the 2018 World Cup and the USA that of 2022. It would have been a gesture of peace if the two long-standing political opponents had hosted the World Cup one after the other.

"It's too small a country. Football and the World Cup are too big for that."

Blatter added: "I can only repeat: the award to Qatar was a mistake, and I was responsible for that as president at the time.

"Now that the World Cup is imminent, I'm glad that, with a few exceptions, no footballers are boycotting the World Cup.

"For me it is clear: Qatar is a mistake. The choice was bad. What I'm wondering: why is the new FIFA president [Gianni Infantino] living in Qatar? He can't be the head of the local World Cup organisation. That's not his job. There are two organising committees for this - a local one and one from FIFA."

Featured Image Credit: BBC

Topics: Gary Lineker, Football World Cup, Qatar

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • BBC confirm pundit line-up for World Cup as 11 names missing
  • Gary Lineker hasn't spoken to fellow sports presenter for 10 years after huge feud over 'stolen job' at the BBC
  • Gary Lineker agrees deal with new broadcaster just a week after quitting BBC
  • Gary Lineker aims dig at BBC while opening up on controversial exit