To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

A Former Ballon d'Or Winner Has Been Interviewed For Vacant Everton Job

Published 
| Last updated 

A Former Ballon d'Or Winner Has Been Interviewed For Vacant Everton Job

In a quite unexpected turn, former World Cup and Ballon d'Or winner Fabio Cannavaro has been interviewed for the vacant managerial post at Everton.

It was announced on Sunday that after just six-and-a-half months in charge at Goodison Park, former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez had been relieved of his duties following the club's damning 2-1 defeat to Norwich City.

Benitez, who replaced Carlo Ancelotti in June, went on to claim that he did not realise the "magnitude of the task" at Everton.

Advert

In a statement following his departure, the Spaniard said: "It was a big challenge, both emotionally and in terms of sport. My love for this city, for Merseyside and its people, made me accept this challenge, but it is only when you are inside that you realise the magnitude of the task."

Loading…

He added: "From the very first day, my staff and myself worked as we always do, with commitment and full dedication. We didn't only have to get results, but we also had to win over people's hearts.

"However, the financial situation and then the injuries that followed made things even harder."

Advert

Everton have been hard at work since sacking the Spaniard. According to Sky Sports, six names are being considered for the post.

Wayne Rooney, Graham Potter, Rudi Garcia, Frank Lampard, Duncan Ferguson and Roberto Martinez were all reported as potential options but now another big name has been added to the shortlist.

Fabio Cannavaro is the latest candidate to be considered by the Toffees, according to The Sun. In fact, he has already spoken to those in charge at Everton during a preliminary interview.

Advert

Back in September, the former Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Juventus defender left his post at Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Evergrande after four years at the helm.

"COVID-19 changed everything in the past year and a half," he said after leaving by mutual consent.

"I was unable to see my family. The league competitions were all broken up. There was even a four-month-long interruption. Everything looked fine at the beginning, but it turned awful later.

Advert

"Quarantine and the bubble mechanism kept me away from my family. It's not a sudden call to leave. Actually, I talked to the club about it when we were in Doha after the last CSL season."

Thoughts on the news that Cannavaro has been interviewed for the vacant Everton job?

Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Italy, Everton, Premier League

Jack Kenmare
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Manchester United Treble Winner Achieves Career Highlight After Promotion With Non League Side

13 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Football

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Opens Up About The Past Six Months Of His Life, He Somehow Continued Playing

3 hours ago