• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 13:57 21 Feb 2026 GMTPublished 13:52 21 Feb 2026 GMT

Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

The Frenchman has been without a managerial role since leaving Real Madrid in May 2021.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Former Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has reportedly verbally agreed to return to management after a nearly five-year hiatus.

Zidane, who also represented the club as a player, left his role as Real Madrid head coach in May 2021, having previously guided the club to 11 major trophies – including three consecutive Champions League titles – across two spells as boss.

Despite being linked with several clubs since then, such as Manchester United, the 53-year-old has remained without a coaching job.

But Zidane’s lengthy spell out of the game could soon come to an end.

Advert

As reported by Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano, the Frenchman has reached a verbal agreement to return to management following this summer’s World Cup.

“On Zinedine, there are always many rumours about Real Madrid… what is the situation with Zidane?” Romano said when speaking on his YouTube channel on Friday.

“What I’m told is that the situation remains very clear. Despite the links we had in December [about Zidane and Real Madrid], my understanding remains that there is a verbal agreement between Zidane and the French federation for Zinedine Zidane to become the next manager of the French national team after the World Cup.

“So full focus will be on the World Cup under Didier Deschamps. Massive respect for the French federation, the French players and Didier Deschamps.

“After the World Cup, Zinedine Zidane is expected to return. Again, this is verbal… anything can happen.”

Of course, Zidane was part of the 1998 World Cup-winning side that secured the country’s first-ever triumph, with the midfielder scoring twice in a 3–0 win against Brazil in Paris.

Zinedine Zidane is set to return to coaching (Credit:Getty)
Zinedine Zidane is set to return to coaching (Credit:Getty)

France’s star man Kylian Mbappé has already made clear what he thinks of ‘Zizou’ leading the France national team and described Zidane as “the only one in the history of French football who has almost all of the rights”.

Zidane himself has also spoken out on the matter during an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport in 2025.

“I’d like to be the head coach of the France team one day,” Zidane admitted.

“I will surely return to coaching. Me at Juventus? I don’t know why it didn’t happen. I always keep that team in my heart because it gave me a lot,” he added.

Current head coach Deschamps’ France contract is set to expire following the 2026 World Cup.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Zinedine Zidane, Football, Didier Deschamps, Real Madrid, Kylian Mbappe

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
20 hours ago
21 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Man Utd tipped to complete £160m raid on Premer League rival in 'monster' swoop

    United did not sign a single player in the winter transfer window, but may look to bolster their squad come this summer.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Donald Trump makes huge decision impacting World Cup nations as White House speaks out

    The US President has made a controversial call ahead of the tournament.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    20 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    21 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Xabi Alonso rejects return to management after approach from 'chaotic' club
  • Zinedine Zidane will finally get to manage player he thinks will 'surpass everyone' in football if he takes new job
  • Zinedine Zidane risks ruining historic managerial record in France head coach move
  • Zinedine Zidane's Return To Football Hits Huge Stumbling Block