sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
American media have made their feelings clear on Son Heung-min after 29-minute cameo on LAFC debut
Home>Football>Football News>Tottenham Hotspur
Updated 16:20 11 Aug 2025 GMT+1Published 11:29 10 Aug 2025 GMT+1

American media have made their feelings clear on Son Heung-min after 29-minute cameo on LAFC debut

The Korean made the move from Spurs earlier this week and has since made his MLS debut.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

America’s media have already had their say on Son Heung-min after the former Spurs man made his MLS debut on Saturday (April 9).

Son, 33, joined LAFC on a two-year contract from Spurs for a reported fee in excess of £20m earlier this week, bringing his decade-long stay in north London to an end.

Upon his arrival in the States, the popular Korean admitted that the club were not “my first choice” but also stressed how he was “more than happy” and “excited” to get going.

"It's a dream come true. LA - what a city," said Son on Wednesday.

Advert

"If I'm honest, it was not my first choice. But the first call I had with [LAFC co-president] John [Thorrington] after my season finished, he changed my mind, changed my heart, my brain.

"He showed me the destination where I should be. Now I'm here, I'm more than happy, I'm so excited."

Son Heung-min made his LAFC debut (Credit:Getty)
Son Heung-min made his LAFC debut (Credit:Getty)

And it didn’t take long for the veteran to make his first appearance for LA as he was introduced as a second-half substitute during the side’s 2-2 draw against Chicago Fire at the SeatGeek Stadium.

Son made an instant impact and won a penalty kick within 20 minutes of his debut before the ensuing spot kick was dispatched by Denis Bouanga with just nine minutes left to play.

Despite his positive contribution, Son explained how he was “disappointed” after the match.

He said: "A bit disappointed not getting three points, but I think everybody put in a lot of effort, happy I made my debut, and I hope the goals come soon."

So, what did the US media make of his 29-minute cameo in Chicago?

Sports Illustrated wrote: “Son Heung-min is going to be good for LAFC in Major League Soccer.”

The outlet added: "Overall, it was a strong performance from Son, and LAFC would not have been able to get the point without him given that he drew the penalty for Bouanga to score and secure the 2–2 result."

Son has even earned himself a new nickname in States with the commentators often referring to him as 'Sonny' during his debut .

Meanwhile, The Athletic wrote: “He was active and dangerous in his first minutes with his new club, and his run into space on a counterattack provided the decisive moment of the game.”

AOL explained: “In his first minutes in an LAFC uniform, Son quickly made an impact: In addition to drawing the penalty, he had three shots in the draw. Son had a few clear opportunities, but Chicago keeper Chris Brady was able to get the relatively easy saves on those chances.”

LAFC return to action with a trip to New England on August 17.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Son Heung Min, MLS, Football, Tottenham Hotspur

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Vinnie Jones names Man United star as Premier League's current 'tough' hardman

    Vinnie Jones revealed his definition for a 'hardman' and which current Premier League star fits the criteria.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Southampton star to leave club after spygate scandal in 'bitter blow'

    The first Southampton player is set to leave following the club's expulsion from the Championship play-offs.

    Football
  • Cricket fans can now enter competition to win tickets to The Hundred Final
  • Son Heung-min must follow strict MLS rule that only Lionel Messi is exempt from
  • Son Heung-min has made his feelings clear on Man Utd as 'Ruben Amorim plots shock move for Tottenham star'
  • Son Heung-min makes his feelings clear on Fraser Forster after two horror moments almost cost Spurs vs Man Utd