
Southampton are set to lose one of their key players at the end of the season after they were expelled from the Championship play-offs over 'spygate'.
The Saints admitted to spying on three clubs during the 2025/26 Championship season, including ahead of their play-off semi-final first leg against Middlesbrough.
A Southampton staff member was sent to Boro's training ground to film their session, but was spotted by coaches who then complained to the EFL.
An independent disciplinary commission decided on Tuesday to expel Southampton from this season's play-offs and hand them a four-point deduction for next season.
Advert
Southampton immediately launched an appeal to the EFL, who upheld all sanctions on Wednesday evening.
Manager Tonda Eckert is reportedly facing an FA charge over the scandal, after accepting responsibility during the hearing, and could face a lengthy ban from football alongside being sacked by Southampton.
Star winger Leo Scienza and midfielder Kuryu Matsuki have already spoken out following the sanctions, with Scienza describing his feelings of 'disappointment, anger [and] sadness'.
The Daily Mail report that Saints players are considering legal action against the club, having been promised a significant bonus per player if they were to be promoted back to the Premier League.
Some players also took wage cuts after relegation from the top flight last season, which would have been restored had they defeated Hull City at Wembley on Saturday.
Instead, semi-final losers Middlesbrough have been reinstated and will take on Hull in Southampton's place.
Amid the possibility of legal action, one Southampton player is set to quietly make his exit from the club in the coming weeks.
Goalkeeper Daniel Peretz moved to the St. Mary's Stadium on loan from Bayern Munich in January, and quickly became one of Southampton's most important players.

Sky Sports Germany reported last week that the Saints were set to exercise a purchase option worth around £6 million to buy the 25-year-old - even if they were not promoted to the Premier League.
But BILD now say that Peretz will leave the club and return to Bayern next month, in what they describe as a 'bitter blow'.
The same outlet reports that, had Southampton been promoted, their purchase option would have become an obligation to buy.
Bayern will now have to find an alternative destination for the Israel international, given they were seemingly planning to move him on this summer.
Manuel Neuer and Sven Ulreich have both agreed new contracts to stay at the German champions under Vincent Kompany, while Jonas Urbig arrived in January of last year to provide further competition for Neuer.
Who else could leave Southampton?
Former head of legal at the EFL, Geoff Cunningham, has told the Press Association that there is 'a form of breach of contract' for Southampton players as a result of the club's actions.
He adds that the Saints need to be 'very careful' in defending itself against 'any notion that that potential breach of contract is severe enough to enable that player to terminate their contract'.
But if no such severe breach of contract is deemed to have occurred, it is likely that a number of Southampton's top stars will leave St. Mary's regardless following their failure to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.
Brazilian winger Scienza, who won the club's Player of the Season award, is said to be attracting interest from Premier League clubs including Aston Villa, Leeds and Everton, with the Toffees also said to be interested in right midfielder Tom Fellows.
Midfielder Shea Charles is also expected to leave, with the Manchester City academy graduate having been linked with a surprise transfer to Manchester United.
Canada forward Cyle Larin, who has scored eight goals in just 16 Championship appearances on loan at the club, is likely to return to parent club Mallorca.
Topics:Ā Southampton, Middlesbrough, EFL Championship