sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Newcastle United's St James' Park to host Saudi Arabia national team games
Home>Football>Football News>Newcastle United
Updated 12:19 16 Aug 2023 GMT+1Published 12:14 16 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Newcastle United's St James' Park to host Saudi Arabia national team games

Newcastle are set to host Saudi Arabia games.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Newcastle United’s St James’ Park is set to host the Saudi Arabia national team for two international friendlies.

The Magpies were the subject of a £305million takeover by Saudi’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) back in 2021, and have since propelled themselves from relegation favourites to the glitz of the Champions League.

Upon completion of the takeover, however, the Premier League said they had "received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club."

However, some quarters have claimed the latest development is suggestive of a closer relationship between Newcastle and Saudi Arabia, a country with a sketchy human rights record, that had been claimed.

Advert

Indeed, Newcastle announced St James’ Park will host two international friendlies featuring the Saudi Arabia men’s national team in September. First, the outfit will take on Costa Rica on September 8 before going toe to toe with South Korea on September 12.

The club website wrote, to promote the games: “A football-obsessed nation, Saudi Arabia caught the world's attention at last year's FIFA World Cup by beating eventual winners Argentina 2-1 in an enthralling group stage match at Lusail Stadium in Qatar.”

The games on Tyneside will form part of the team’s preparations for the Asian Cup, which will be hosted by Qatar in January next year.

Last week Premier League chief executive Richard Masters claimed he took Newcastle owners’ claims that Saudi Arabia had no control over Newcastle “very seriously”.

Documents were submitted on behalf of the PIF to a U.S court earlier this year which described the fund as a "sovereign instrumentality of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" while governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, the chairman of Newcastle, was referred to as a "sitting minister of the Saudi government".

Masters, who has faced questions on the subject from the DCMS select committee, was quizzed once again about that issue at the Premier League launch day.

Speaking to TalkSPORT he said: "I'm going to repeat what I've probably said in the select committee which is I can't really comment on it.

“The question you're asking - is the Premier League looking at those documents and those comments?

"We don't normally comment at all on investigations until the point of charge and we're not at that stage yet so there's nothing I can really say about it. Obviously, we are fully aware of those documents."

He added: ​​ "We take those assurances very seriously so fans can be confident in that."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Football, Premier League, Newcastle United, Saudi Arabia

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

17 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    17 mins ago

    Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

    The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football
  • Hayters
    an hour ago

    Roberto De Zerbi gives his take on Cristian Romero missing Tottenham's final game of the season

    Romero will watch boyhood club Belgrano take on River Plate instead of Sunday's game in North London.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    7 players Thomas Tuchel hasn't included in England World Cup squad who should feel hard done by

    Tuchel might regret some of his decisions.

    Football
  • Saudi Stance on Selling Newcastle to Buy Man Utd Amid Takeover Rumours
  • Saudi Stance on Selling Newcastle to Fund €10bn Barcelona Takeover Revealed
  • Newcastle set to receive FIFA compensation fee after Alexander Isak transfer to Liverpool
  • Newcastle United home shirt for 26/27 leaked and fans call it the worst kit of all-time