• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Werder Bremen make drastic Naby Keita decision after Liverpool flop 'refused to get on team bus'

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 13:51 16 Apr 2024 GMT+1Published 13:18 16 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Werder Bremen make drastic Naby Keita decision after Liverpool flop 'refused to get on team bus'

Werder Bremen have suspended Naby Keita and handed him a "substantial fine".

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Werder Bremen, Naby Keita, Football, Bundesliga, Premier League

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Werder Bremen have suspended Naby Keita and handed him a "substantial fine".

Werder Bremen announced that they had suspended Keita until the end of the season, while the player had also been handed a "substantial fine".

Upon finding out he would not be in the starting XI to take on Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday, Keita opted not to travel to the ground with the team, and instead chose to go home.

The club's head of football, Clemens Fritz, said: “As a club, we won’t tolerate Naby’s behaviour.

Advert

"He let his team down in a time of difficulty surrounding our recent run of form and squad availability and put his own interests above those of the team. We can’t allow that.

"At this stage of the season, we need full focus on the remaining games and a team who stick together. That’s why we’ve been left with no alternative."

The former Liverpool star will no longer train with the team or be part of the first-team dressing room.

On Monday, Fritz explained: “After Naby found out yesterday that he would not be playing from the start, he decided not to get on the bus but to go home. We will talk to him and his agent tomorrow about the consequences and how to proceed.”

Following Fritz's public criticism, Keita took to social media to defend himself.

Writing on Instagram, he said: “I wish to clarify my situation at my club Werder Bremen. Ever since I arrived at this magnificent club, I have always shown my professionalism. I have always tried to help the club and the great supporters, especially during this time of poor results.

“Since the start of my career, I have never had problems with my discipline and have always shown an exemplary attitude. I will not accept any person trying to tarnish my image.

“To the supporters, I have always worked hard in training to get the right result at the weekend. In training I can only give my best. And to my teammates, good luck for the match."

Keita has featured in just five Bundesliga games for Werder in what has been another injury-hit season.

Naby Keita has barely featured this season (Getty)
Naby Keita has barely featured this season (Getty)

However, he had been in the last five matchday squads, remaining an unused substitute against Eintracht Frankfurt last Friday having made substitute appearances in the previous two matches.

Those had been Keita’s first Werder appearances since October.

Keita joined Werder on a free transfer following his Liverpool departure at the end of the 2022-23 campaign. He had previously played in the Bundesliga with RB Leipzig, and was bought by the Merseyside club for £52.75million in 2018.

The midfielder endured an injury-plagued career at Anfield and was restricted to only 13 appearances in all competitions in his final season at the club.

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Gareth Barry explains why he'll be 'sad' after James Milner breaks Premier League record

    Milner has broken the record for the most appearances in Premier League history.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Theo Walcott predicts where Real Madrid would come in the Premier League

    Wayne Rooney also made a prediction.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Zinedine Zidane reaches verbal agreement on return to football

    The Frenchman has been without a managerial role since leaving Real Madrid in May 2021.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Man Utd tipped to complete £160m raid on Premer League rival in 'monster' swoop

    United did not sign a single player in the winter transfer window, but may look to bolster their squad come this summer.

    Football
  • Spurs 'Make Decision' on New Manager After Thomas Frank Sacking
  • Harry Maguire Makes Drastic Decision on Man Utd Future Days After Liverpool Win
  • Liverpool forced to take drastic action after wonderkid 'terrorises' first team players in training
  • Liverpool flop accuses critics of 'tarnishing his image' following claims he 'refused to get on team bus'