• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Marco Reus confirms his 12-year spell with Borussia Dortmund is over in emotional message

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 13:38 3 May 2024 GMT+1Published 13:25 3 May 2024 GMT+1

Marco Reus confirms his 12-year spell with Borussia Dortmund is over in emotional message

Marco Reus will leave Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

Marco Reus will leave Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Reus has plied his trade at Signal Iduna Park for 12 years, but will not have his contract extended beyond this campaign.

The club said in a statement: "One of one. Marco Reus and Borussia Dortmund have reached a mutual understanding that his current contract will not be extended, as both parties will part ways this summer.

Advert

"Full focus will persist on the remaining league fixtures, alongside our unwavering commitment to fulfilling our dream in the UCL."

Reus played in the Dortmund youth setup for ten years between 1995 and 2005, before returning to his boyhood club from Borussia Mönchengladbach in 2012.

He went on to become central to the team the reached the 2013 Champions League final and twice won the DFB-Pokal.

The 34-year-old, who donned the armband at Dormund between 2018 and 2023, has scored on 168 occasions and assisted a further 128 goals in his 424 appearances for the club so far.

Reus said: "I’m incredibly grateful for and proud of this special time at my club Borussia Dortmund.

Advert

"I have spent more than half of my life at this club and enjoyed every day, even though there have of course been difficult moments too.

"I already know now that I will find it difficult to say goodbye at the end of the season.

"And yet I’m happy that there is now clarity and that we can focus fully on the very important final games that we still have to play.

Advert

"We have a big objective in our sights that we all want to achieve together.

"To do so, we will need every single one of our unbelievable fans, to whom I would like to express my sincere thanks for their unbelievable support over the years."

It is widely reported back in February that a number of unnamed MLS sides were keen to lure Reus to the United States.

Featured Image Credit: Borussia Dortmund via Instagram

Topics: Marco Reus, Borussia Dortmund, Transfer News, Bundesliga, Football

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    6 hours ago

    Nicolas Jackson's agent speaks out after Chelsea request transfer to Bayern Munich is cancelled

    Chelsea have asked Jackson to return to London.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    7 hours ago

    Fan footage of 98th minute incident during Man Utd vs Burnley has become big talking point

    United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    8 hours ago

    Police issue statement after teenager arrested near Stamford Bridge over imitation firearm

    The boy was arrested after Chelsea's victory over Fulham on Saturday.

    Football
  • Premier LeaguePremier League
    9 hours ago

    Ruben Amorim's reaction before Bruno Fernandes scored last minute penalty vs Burnley speaks volumes

    It was a nervy game at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Jobe Bellingham's dad banned from Borussia Dortmund dressing room as club issues strong statement
  • Borussia Dortmund fine list 'leaked' including stunning fee for refusing to sign autographs
  • German media make their feelings clear on Jobe Bellingham after Borussia Dortmund debut at Club World Cup
  • What Jobe Bellingham did immediately after scoring first Borussia Dortmund goal speaks volumes