sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Football manager SACKED on live TV during astonishing post-match interview
Home>Football>Football News
Published 14:53 21 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Football manager SACKED on live TV during astonishing post-match interview

The manager was brutally sacked just moments after a match.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A shocking clip of a football manager being sacked on live television moments after losing a match 5-0 has emerged.

Football is a brutal sport. Players and managers face pressure from fans unlike almost any other job, with the need to perform week in, week out necessary to keep your place.

Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti and Steve McClaren, the three most sacked managers in football history, knew this all too well.

However, none of them suffered the embarrassment of one manager who was sacked on live TV in a clip that has gone viral on social media.

Advert

On Sunday, former Montpellier manager Michel Der Zakarian was sacked just minutes after his side were thrashed 5-0 in a Ligue 1 meeting with Marseille.

After the game, club president Laurent Nicollin spoke with DAZN France in a stunning interview that saw him blame the players for the shocking result, before announcing that he had sacked the manager.

Nicollin told DAZN France, via The Sun: "We can't change 25 players, so, unfortunately, I've taken the initiative to stop Michel tonight.

"We talked in the locker room after the game. I told him it was over tonight.

"And I said to the players that, thanks to their great job, they had fired the coach and that they need to take their responsibilities next week against Toulouse."

The French side have had a dreadful start to the season, losing six of their opening eight matches, while winning only one.

With only four points, Montpellier are sitting right at the bottom of the French top division, despite a comfortable mid-table finish last season.

Michel Der Zakarian spent 10 years as a player at Montpellier before returning to manage the club twice. (Image: Getty)
Michel Der Zakarian spent 10 years as a player at Montpellier before returning to manage the club twice. (Image: Getty)

Conceding five goals in one game didn't come as a complete shock for the team either, as they currently have a -18 goal difference having conceded a staggering 26 goals since the start of the season.

Nicollin's decision to embarrassingly sack Der Zakarian live on TV ends the Armenian manager's second spell in charge of the French, whom he previously managed for four years between 2017 and 2021 before joining rivals Brest.

The 61-year-old came back to Montpellier in February 2023, having been sacked by Brest in October 2022 after winning just one of 10 games at the start of the 2022/23 season.

Featured Image Credit: DAZN France/Getty

Topics: Football, Ligue 1, Marseille

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Hearts manager gives furious post-match interview after watching 'disgusting' Celtic penalty decision
  • Sky Sports forced to mute Erling Haaland during post-match interview after Arsenal win
  • What happened to the 20 highest-rated wonderkids on Football Manager 2012
  • Zinedine Zidane's Stance on Managing Marseille Ahead of Football Return

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football