sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Ruben Amorim reveals Man Utd rejected his shock demand during negotiations to replace Erik ten Hag
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Published 09:29 2 Nov 2024 GMT

Ruben Amorim reveals Man Utd rejected his shock demand during negotiations to replace Erik ten Hag

The new Manchester United boss explained the situation.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Ruben Amorim has explained how Manchester United rejected his request when negotiating his contract.

Amorim, 39, was officially announced as United's head coach on Friday afternoon after several days of media speculation about his future.

The Portuguese will begin his new role on November 11 but will not take charge of his first match until an away day at Ipswich Town on November 24.

Advert

Until then, current interim boss Ruud van Nistelrooy will oversee the Red Devils’ matches against Chelsea, PAOK and Leicester City as he looks to build on Wednesday’s 5-2 win over the Foxes in the Carabao Cup.

Despite the announcement, Amorim took charge of Sporting CP’s 5-1 win against Estrela Amadora on Friday evening.

Although his side put on a stunning display, with former Coventry striker Viktor Gyokeres scoring four goals, it was what Amorim said in his post-match press conference which piqued the interest of many.

The 39-year-old explained how United had told him it was “now or never” despite him wanting to see out the season with Sporting.

"At the beginning of the season, I had a talk with [President Frederico Varandas] and Hugo Viana [then-sporting director], and I said that whatever happened, this would be my last season with Sporting,” Amorim explained.

“The president is here, he can confirm that.

Ruben Amorim oversaw Sporting's victory yesterday evening (Credit:Getty)
Ruben Amorim oversaw Sporting's victory yesterday evening (Credit:Getty)

"The season started, we know that we started very well. Then the Manchester United situation came, and they appeared.

“They paid above the release clause. I never discussed anything with the president about this bargaining. The only question I made was only to go at the end of the season.

"For three days, I said I wanted to stay until the end of the season. But I was told it was not possible, I was told it was now or never, or Manchester United would go for another option.

"I had three days to make my decision. The change is radical in my life, but I had three days to make this decision. That's what I did.”

The former Benfica player also explained how he was not short of other offers, revealing United’s approach was not the “first or second time” he had been targeted by another club.

He then revealed how the move was not about money, stressing the fact another team “wanted to hire” him and was willing to pay “three times more than Manchester [United]”.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Getty

Topics: Manchester United, Ruben Amorim, Sporting CP, Transfer News, Premier League, Football

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • 'Choices were made' - £80million Man Utd midfield target was once previously sold by Ruben Amorim
  • Erik Ten Hag Takes New Job Day After Man Utd Sack Ruben Amorim
  • Ruben Amorim set for perfect next job four months after Man United sacking
  • 'All I can do is...' - Kobbie Mainoo finally addresses Ruben Amorim feud for first time