sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Footage of Man Utd fans running back to Wembley after VAR disallowed Coventry 'winner' emerges
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Published 09:47 22 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Footage of Man Utd fans running back to Wembley after VAR disallowed Coventry 'winner' emerges

Manchester United fans thought they had suffered late defeat against Coventry

Marcus Banks

Marcus Banks

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United fans thought they had suffered a late defeat in the FA Cup semi-final against Coventry.

It seemed to be a routine victory for Erik ten Hag as he looked to book a place in the FA Cup final for a second successive year as United led 3-0 with 70 minutes on the clock.

However, a 21-minute spell saw the Championship side score three unanswered goals to force their Premier League opponents into extra-time.

Coventry thought they had won it in the 121st minute when Victor Torp stretched to turn home Haji Wright’s cross, sparking wild celebrations at Wembley.

Advert

After a lengthy celebration, VAR intervened and concluded Wright had strayed offside by the finest of margins and the goal was disallowed but plenty of United fans had already left their seat.

A video posted on X shows hundreds of United fans making a u-turn on Wembley way and running back to the stadium in the hope of catching the penalty shoot-out.

It’s highly unlikely supporters who left the stadium were allowed back in meaning it’s probable they missed their side booking their place against Man City in the final after Ramus Hojlund kept his cool to slot the winning spot-kick.


United fans running back to the ground after VAR offside decision 😭pic.twitter.com/nO8ULnwUGA

— 𝐄𝐑 (@ErlingRoIe) April 22, 2024

Speaking after the game, Ten Hag praised his side despite what many claim was an ‘embarrassing result’.

“Mixed feelings is clear, but it’s an achievement to be twice in the FA Cup final in two years," he said. "The last 20 years United was five times in final but now we are two times in two years, it’s a huge achievement.

"When you are so in control, dominating the game, 3-0 up, we should win it. The way we didn’t was not good. In the penalty series how we act there, how determined we were, that is a good sign, that’s good character, from the 70 minutes to the end we made mistakes."


Featured Image Credit: Getty/X - Londonblue_2

Topics: Manchester United, FA Cup, Erik Ten Hag, Premier League, VAR

Marcus Banks
Marcus Banks

Marcus Banks is a social media editor for SPORTbible. He previously worked for publications such as the Liverpool Echo, Daily Mirror, Manchester Evening News and Dexerto. Specialises in football and MMA.

X

@MarcusBanksX

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Sir Jim Ratcliffe has already identified Erik ten Hag's replacement as pressure mounts on Man Utd boss
  • Why Emiliano Martinez is banned but Andre Onana isn't despite carbon copy situation
  • Gerwyn Price calls out those who 'spoil darts for real fans' after footage of tense interaction emerges
  • Viral footage of Jadon Sancho's performance vs Atletico Madrid has got Man Utd fans talking