sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Brazil drop Antony after domestic abuse allegations as Man Utd star brands accusations as 'false'
Home>Football>Football News>Man Utd
Published 10:43 5 Sep 2023 GMT+1

Brazil drop Antony after domestic abuse allegations as Man Utd star brands accusations as 'false'

Antony has responded.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Brazil have dropped Manchester United winger Antony from their upcoming international squad after police opened an investigation into allegations of domestic violence made against him by his ex-girlfriend.

Gabriela Cavallin, a DJ and influencer, has alleged that she was subject to a series of attacks by Antony between June last year and May this year, in an interview with Brazilian outlet UOL.

Cavallin filed a report with the Sao Paulo Civil Police in June, accusing Antony of 'domestic violence, threat and bodily injury'. She also filed a separate complaint with Greater Manchester Police.

On Monday evening, GMP confirmed in a statement to The Telegraph that they were making enquiries about the allegations: "Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report. We will not be commenting any further at this time."

Advert

Antony subsequently released a statement on his Instagram account in which he denied the allegations, claiming 'false accusations'.

The United winger added: "I can say with confidence that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and more to be produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made.

"My relationship was Ms Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal offenses from both sides, but I never practiced any physical aggression."

Manchester United told BBC Sport that they currently have no comment on the matter. SPORTbible has also contacted Manchester United for comment.

Image
Getty

He had been named in the Selecao squad by manager Fernando Diniz for the nation's upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Peru, which take place this month.

But in a statement on their official website, the Brazil football federation (CBF) have confirmed that Antony has been dropped from the squad.

They state: "Due to the facts that became public this Monday involving Manchester United player Antony, and which need to be investigated, and in order to safeguard the alleged victim, the player, the Brazilian team and the CBF, the organisation informs that the athlete has been withdrawn from the Brazilian team."

Antony has been replaced by Arsenal's Gabriel Jesus in the Brazil squad.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Antony, Manchester United, Brazil, Premier League

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

28 mins ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Getty
    28 mins ago

    FIFA approve Iran's rare request for World Cup amid United States peace deal talks

    Iran's Mehdi Taj has confirmed how Iran's World Cup preparations will change drastically after the approval.

    Football
  • DeFodi Images/Getty
    9 hours ago

    Napoli reject two Premier League offers for Scott McTominay as future takes new twist

    Could we see a homecoming?

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    'Such a massive club...' - Player publicly confirms interest in signing for Man Utd this summer

    United are heavily linked with two midfielders but a third transfer target has spoken out.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    Six players who could play their final Man Utd game vs Brighton

    Man Utd take on Brighton in their final match of the 2025/26 Premier League season.

    Football
  • Antony turns down move to shock club as Man Utd winger makes decision on 'priority' destination
  • Antony breaks down in tears at Real Betis media day as he makes shocking revelations about time at Man Utd
  • Man Utd set their asking price for Antony after exiling him from club as two Premier League clubs make enquiries
  • Antony available for Man Utd selection as club issue statement amid domestic abuse allegations