sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Virgil van Dijk breaks silence on future as Liverpool 'make contract decision'
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Updated 08:34 9 Sep 2024 GMT+1Published 08:33 9 Sep 2024 GMT+1

Virgil van Dijk breaks silence on future as Liverpool 'make contract decision'

Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk’s contract is due to run out at the end of the 24/25 season.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Virgil van Dijk has outlined his future plans after Liverpool reportedly made a decision on the defender’s contract situation.

Since joining the club from Southampton back in 2018, Van Dijk has become Liverpool’s defensive rock and established himself as one of the best of his generation.

However, heading into the 24/25 season at the age of 33, Van Dijk’s future is currently up in the air as his Anfield contract is set to expire in June.

Advert

On Saturday night, Van Dijk captained the Netherlands as they sealed a 5-2 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina in the UEFA Nations League.

As reported by The Echo, Van Dijk spoke about his future plans after the match.

He said: “At both teams I am still Virgil van Dijk, the big leader! And I certainly want to remain that for the next two years. I am human, I have emotions too. You start thinking all kinds of things. Especially just after a game like the elimination (by England) in the very last minute.

“I also understand that it came across as unclear on how I stood in all this because after the match I was so disappointed and full of emotion. It perhaps came across as if it had been my last international match. I did have doubts that night and I did hint at that.”

Image
Getty

Van Dijk continued: “It's very good that I went on holiday the next day, was able to spend time with my children, my family, which is the most important thing in my life. I was able to share it and then very quickly things calmed down.”

Over the weekend, it was claimed that Liverpool are ready to offer a new contract to their captain.

As reported by Football Insider, Liverpool’s hierarchy are not willing to let Van Dijk walk away for free next summer and are keen for the 33-year-old to pen a new deal.

The report stated: “Ahead of sit-down talks with the club, sources say Van Dijk will make his own decision about where his future lies and whether they can still match his ambitions.”

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Football, Virgil Van Dijk

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

24 mins ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    24 mins ago

    7 players Thomas Tuchel hasn't included in England's World Cup squad who should feel hard done by

    Tuchel might regret some of his decisions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Eagle-eyed Liverpool fans spot 'incredible talent' that joined Jurgen Klopp as he managed first game since leaving club
  • Fans spot incident between Virgil van Dijk and Andre Onana in Liverpool's win over Man United
  • Virgil van Dijk gives massive update on his future amid Liverpool exit speculation
  • Virgil van Dijk drops huge bombshell on his Liverpool future after Netherlands exit Euro 2024