sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Fabrizio Romano reveals real reason why Liverpool failed to sign Khephren Thuram
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Updated 17:01 7 Aug 2023 GMT+1Published 16:54 7 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Fabrizio Romano reveals real reason why Liverpool failed to sign Khephren Thuram

Thuram has been heavily rumoured with a move to Anfield this summer.

Joe Adams

Joe Adams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Fabrizio Romano has revealed why Liverpool failed to sign Khephren Thuram this summer, after months of speculation that he could join the Reds.

Jurgen Klopp has already added midfield duo Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai to his ranks for a combined £95 million this summer.

However, the German boss in dire need of further reinforcements following the departures of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keita and James Milner.

Meanwhile, midfield pairing Jordan Henderson and Fabinho have also packed their bags for the Saudi Pro League, joining Al Ettifaq and Al Ittihad respectively.

Advert

Nice midfielder Thuram was heavily linked with a move to Anfield earlier in the transfer window, however Liverpool stuck a pin in their pursuit of the 22-year-old to focus on other targets.

Initially, it was thought that their decision to look elsewhere was due to the Premier League's strict homegrown rules which mean a club must register a minimum of eight homegrown players in their first team squad for the 2023/24 season.

However, transfer expert Romano has since confirmed that Liverpool put an end to their interest purely because he was too expensive.

Speaking on the Born and Red podcast, the Italian journalist revealed that finances were a major stumbling block in Liverpool’s bid to sign the France international, with Nice’s demands as well as Thuram’s proving too much for the Anfield side.

Romano said: “The main problem with Thuram was that the package was considered too expensive for Liverpool, both in terms of a transfer fee and salary," said Romano.

"There were many things that concerned Liverpool when they had discussions for Thuram.”

Liverpool have since turned their attention to Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia, having seen two bids for the 19-year-old rejected already, as Saints hold out for £50 million. Liverpool, meanwhile, appear to be unwilling to meet their asking price.

Fluminese midfielder Andre is reportedly seen as another option, with Klopp scrambling for alternatives in the transfer market before their opening game of the Premier League season against Chelsea on Saturday.

Featured Image Credit: Getty & Fabrizio Romano's YouTube channel

Topics: Liverpool, Football, Transfers, Premier League, Jurgen Klopp, Fabrizio Romano

Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Joe is a Journalist for SPORTbible with a primary focus on football. He has previously covered a number of other sports including boxing, rugby and F1. Wishes he was born left-footed.

X

@joeadamsjourno

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Marc-Andre Ter Stegen's misery complete as unwanted feat confirms disaster season

    The Barcelona goalkeeper made history this season, but it's not something he'll want to remember.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Liverpool show interest in potential Mo Salah replacement as rumour emerges ahead of final game

    Salah will leave Liverpool at the end of the season.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Premier League final day to make history ahead of new kit rule impacting every team

    The rule will come into play at the start of the 2026/27 Premier League campaign.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    'You didn't ask?' - Pep Guardiola learned one manager refused involvement in special montage video

    Man City boss Pep Guardiola assumed that the manager had not been asked by Sky Sports but he had refused.

    Football
  • Liverpool star Mohamed Salah's agent responds to Saudi Pro League transfer reports
  • Liverpool interested in West Ham wonderkid Amara Nallo as Fabrizio Romano confirms 'talks'
  • Fabrizio Romano reveals details of Liverpool's improved bid for Romeo Lavia
  • Man Utd 'submit bid for Rasmus Hojlund' as Fabrizio Romano reveals opening 'verbal offer'