sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Respected Liverpool journalist reveals if Martin Zubimendi transfer could still happen after shock late twist
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Published 09:41 15 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Respected Liverpool journalist reveals if Martin Zubimendi transfer could still happen after shock late twist

A fresh update on Zubimendi to Liverpool.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A respected journalist has revealed if Martin Zubimendi's potential transfer to Liverpool could be back on - despite reports that the midfielder rejected the move.

The Reds identified the Spain midfielder, who played against England in the Euro 2024 final, as a concrete target earlier this month.

The Athletic claimed that Sociedad expected Zubimendi, who has a release clause of £51 million contained within his contract, to make the move to Anfield.

Money was not to be an issue in the deal, given the existence of the release clause, although such clauses in Spain effectively require the buying club to pay the transfer fee to the player - who then triggers the clause himself.

Advert

But Sociedad tried to convince the 25-year-old, who is one of the club's key players, to stay put.

And it was reported on Tuesday that Zubimendi had decided not to make the move to Anfield after all. It is added that Arne Slot's side are 'unlikely' to target an alternative to the Spaniard, despite not making a single signing thus far this summer.

But The Times claim that contract talks between Zubimendi and Sociedad are currently 'problematic' - with Reds supporters thinking the move may not yet be impossible, if improbable.

Now, The Athletic's James Pearce has given an update on whether Liverpool feel the deal can be resurrected in a new Q&A.

He told Playback: "It's difficult to say. I don't have any indication at this time that Liverpool feel it can be revived.

"If there was the opportunity to, then they wouldn't suddenly have gone off him in the last 24 hours.

"But at the minute, I haven't spoken to anyone that seriously thinks it can be revived.

Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi has turned down a move to Liverpool -
Getty

"New contract talks and a pay rise was part of the play from Sociedad in terms of convincing him to stay put but it was never going to be about wages. Liverpool would have blown Sociedad out of the water in terms of personal terms.

"It was more to do with that emotional bond to the club. I'd be surprised if you have a scenario where he doesn't get what he wants financially from Sociedad, and suddenly changes his mind and says, 'Liverpool, can we get it done?'

"Stranger things have happened in football but at the moment there's no indication, certainly from anyone I've spoken to, that that's going to happen."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Premier League, Football, Transfers

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Liverpool set for behind-the-scenes changes as transfer plans made to support Alexander Isak
  • Liverpool handed huge Alexander Isak blow as respected journalist drops transfer bombshell
  • Respected Journalist Makes Arne Slot Sack Admission Amid Liverpool 'Decision'
  • Respected Journalist Drops Huge Curtis Jones Update After Transfer Bombshell

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football