
Donald Trump appeared to issue a threat towards two nations set to compete in the 2026 World Cup following the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
On Friday (January 2), U.S. President Trump announced that US forces had captured Venezuelan President Maduro along with his wife Cilia Flores after the Venezuelan government accused the US of carrying out military attacks in Caracas, the nation’s capital.
The South American nation declared a national emergency before US Attorney General Pam Bondi confirmed Maduro had been indicted on various drug and weapons charges.
In a subsequent press conference, Trump said the US would “run” Venezuela, including its rich oil infrastructure.
Advert
Oil reserves in the nation total more than 300 billion barrels – the most of any nation on the planet.
- If you want to see even more from SPORTbible, make us a preferred source on Google.

Trump, without providing appropriate statistics and evidence, previously accused Maduro of “emptying his prisons and insane asylums” and “forcing” prisoners to migrate to the US. The 79-year-old has also accused Maduro of allegedly allowing oil to fund drug-related crime and being the leader of a cartel.
Upon his arrival in New York, the Venezuelan President was taken to the offices of the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Neighbouring Latin American countries may also become involved with Trump issuing warnings towards two nations set to compete in this summer’s World Cup, including co-hosts, Mexico.
Trump also warned Colombia, who have qualified for the 2026 tournament, and Cuba, who will not take part in the tournament.
The 79-year-old described Colombia and Venezuela as ‘very sick’ and accused Colombian President Gustavo Petro of running a government that ‘likes making cocaine and selling it to the United States’.
“And he’s not going to be doing it very long. Let me tell you,” Trump said before suggesting a similar operation to the one carried out in Venezuela could also take place against Colombia.

After claiming Cuba was on the verge of collapse, the Republican turned his attention to the soon-to-be World Cup co-hosts Mexico and claimed the country 'has to get their act together because they’re [drugs] pouring through Mexico and we’re going to have to do something'.
Despite calling Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum a ‘terrific person’, he continued to say, ‘cartels are very strong in Mexico’.
Since Maduro’s capture, several countries - Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, and Spain – issued a joint statement condemning Trump’s actions.
Previous controversies include Trump’s 2025 travel bans on 12 countries, affecting several prospective World Cup nations.
Athletes are expected to be exempt from the bans ahead of the World Cup, but travelling fans may be impacted and refused entry to the US.
Canada will also co-host the 2026 World Cup with the US and Mexico, with the tournament getting underway in June this year.
Topics: Donald Trump, Venezuela, Colombia