sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Club will compete in FA Cup second round despite losing previous tie because of 'perplexing' error
Home>Football>Football News
Published 16:02 1 Dec 2023 GMT

Club will compete in FA Cup second round despite losing previous tie because of 'perplexing' error

Highly unusual.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A non-League team will compete in the second round of the FA Cup this weekend – despite losing their first-round match.

The lucky team who have been given a reprieve are the semi-professional side Horsham, who compete in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

The will come up against National League side Sutton on Sunday after being handed a second chance in the FA Cup.

That's after League One club Barnsley were kicked out of the competition because of an error, which has been described as "strangely perplexing" by BBC journalist Andy Giddings.

Advert

Barnsley said an "administrative error" was to blame for fielding an illegible player in their first-round replay against Horsham on November 14, which the Yorkshire club won 3-0.

The ineligible player has not been named but is understood to be Aiden Marsh.

When Barnsley played the initial match against Horsham, which ended in a 3-3 draw, Marsh was on loan at York.

He was later recalled and started the second math but only players eligible for the original tie can appear in a replay.

"The club have fully cooperated with the investigation and have accepted the FA's decision," Barnsley said in a statement after their elimination was confirmed.

"We would like to apologise to our fans, players and staff for this regrettable error. This mistake - although unintentional - falls way below the high standards we set at this club and is simply not what you deserve."

Last month's ruling means Horsham will now play in the second round of the FA Cup for only the second time in their history.

Horsham chairman Kevin Borrett told the BBC: "I'm really pleased for our club - also real sympathy for Barnsley as well. Their supporters will be distraught and I do wish them well.

"The Barnsley chair and I had a number of conversations over the weekend in the course of their preparation of the response to the FA charge.

"As clubs I think we have got on tremendously well across both ties and the supporters have got together on a couple of things and there is a real rapport between them as well."

He added: "Lets take nothing away from Sutton, they are a strong team, they are a league team so we will go there as underdogs but we will go with an attitude that it is there to be won.

"I don't think Sutton will be taking this game for granted at all."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: FA Cup, Football

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • DeFodi Images/Getty
    6 hours ago

    Napoli reject two Premier League offers for Scott McTominay as future takes new twist

    Could we see a homecoming?

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    'Such a massive club...' - Player publicly confirms interest in signing for Man Utd this summer

    United are heavily linked with two midfielders but a third transfer target has spoken out.

    Football
  • Getty
    9 hours ago

    Six players who could play their final Man Utd game vs Brighton

    Man Utd take on Brighton in their final match of the 2025/26 Premier League season.

    Football
  • MouradDiop92 X
    11 hours ago

    Two PSG players 'refuse to shake hands' during inter-squad friendly before Champions League final

    Paris Saint-Germain's preparation for the Champions League final against Arsenal turned up an unusual flashpoint

    Football
  • FA Cup Second Round Draw in Full as Salford City Handed Huge Tie
  • FA Cup 4th Round Draw Simulator: Arsenal Get Nightmare Tie, Liverpool Learn Fate
  • FA Cup First Round Draw Completed as 48 Teams Enter The Competition
  • Chelsea set to appoint ‘standout candidate’ within 10 days of the FA Cup final