sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence after his furious outburst following Portugal's draw with Scotland
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 11:01 16 Oct 2024 GMT+1Published 10:58 16 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence after his furious outburst following Portugal's draw with Scotland

Ronaldo lost his head after Portugal's goalless draw with Scotland.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Cristiano Ronaldo has commented for the first time since his furious outburst after Portugal's disappointing draw with Scotland.

Portugal were held to a goalless draw at Hampden Park on Tuesday night, with Ronaldo and his teammates squandering several chances to win the match.

As expected, the visitors dominated the game but were unable to break through a resolute Scottish defence.

Ronaldo was left incensed at the end of the match when referee Lawrence Visser blew the full-time whistle, rather than allowing Portugal to take a corner in added time.

Advert

Al Nassr star Ronaldo exploded in a fit of rage at the decision, storming off the pitch while gesticulating to the officials, his teammates and the crowd.

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star also appeared to head down the tunnel without shaking hands with his opponents.

Former Scotland international Charlie Mulgrew, who was on co-commentary duty for ViaPlay, joked that Ronaldo "looked raging" as his left the pitch.

Ronaldo later took to social media to issue a two-word statement: "Seguimos juntos", alongside a picture of him and his teammates.

It translates to "We continue together".

Speaking after the match, Portugal star Joao Palhinha questioned the referee's decision to blow the full-time whistle but said it was not an excuse for his side's failure to win the match.

"The refereeing could have been much better, the game was often stopped," Palhinha told Portuguese outlet O Jogo.

Ronaldo lost his head after Portugal's draw with Scotland (Image: Getty)
Ronaldo lost his head after Portugal's draw with Scotland (Image: Getty)

"If I were to give my honest opinion... I don't want to get into trouble, it's better to keep quiet, but it wasn't because of the refereeing that we didn't win the game. It wasn't a good job, but it's our fault that we ended up drawing.

"We're still in first place in the group and now we have two games, one home and one away, and we have to keep up the good streak in the national team."

The draw keeps Portugal top of their Nations League group, three points ahead of closest rivals Croatia – who drew 3-3 with Poland on Tuesday night.

Scotland, meanwhile, remain bottom of the group, having picked up just a single point from their first four games.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal, Scotland, Football, UEFA Nations League

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Jr targeted by five elite European clubs and he may snub playing with his dad
  • Cristiano Ronaldo makes his feelings clear on Lamine Yamal after lacklustre performance in Nations League final
  • Cristiano Ronaldo makes honest confession about playing for Portugal as he explains why he was crying after Nations League final
  • Cristiano Ronaldo breaks his silence following his 2025 Ballon d'Or snub with six-word comment