sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Rio Ferdinand reveals what Pepe privately told him after Porto's stunning win over Arsenal
Home>Football>Football News>Arsenal
Updated 11:33 22 Feb 2024 GMTPublished 11:29 22 Feb 2024 GMT

Rio Ferdinand reveals what Pepe privately told him after Porto's stunning win over Arsenal

Porto beat Arsenal 1-0 thanks to Galeno's late winner.

Matthew Holt

Matthew Holt

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Rio Ferdinand has opened up on his private chat with Pepe in the aftermath of Porto's 1-0 Champions League win over Arsenal.

The Portuguese international marshalled the likes of Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli across the 90 minutes, with Galeno's strike securing a first-leg victory for his side against the Gunners.

Becoming the oldest player to play in the Champions League in the process at 40 years and 360 days old, fans at the Estadio do Dragao celebrated long after the full-time whistle.

Advert

Ferdinand, who was joined by both Laura Woods and Martin Keown as part of the TNT Sports panel, caught up with the former Real Madrid man following Porto's triumph.

"They were marshalled by that man in there. I think he’s 41 on Monday. It’s ridiculous to think how he’s getting his body through," Ferdinand said.

"That’s what I was saying to him, “How are you doing this?!”, and he was like: “I’m still strong!”

"He still feels confident.

"A lot of it, Martin Keown said it off air, it’s in the mind at that point."

Having spent 10 long years at Real Madrid from 2007-2017, Pepe's consistent routines have continued to help him perform at the very top level.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Showing no signs of letting up, the 40-year-old has so far played 23 times for Sergio Conceicao's side this season.

As for the Gunners, they must quickly dust themselves off ahead of a return to Premier League action this weekend.

Mikel Arteta's side are set to take on Newcastle United on Saturday with the onus on keeping pressure on both Liverpool and Manchester in the quest for top-flight glory.

"No, obviously we’re very disappointed by the way we gave the game away at the end, and not managing that situation well enough, and you get punished in the Champions League - if you cannot win it, you don’t lose it," he told the media after his team's defeat.

"We really dominated the game, but we lacked purpose, especially in the first half to have much more aggression, to break lines, to play forward, to generate much more threat in their backline."

Featured Image Credit: TNT Sports

Topics: Arsenal, FC Porto, Pepe, Rio Ferdinand, Champions League, Football, Premier League

Matthew Holt
Matthew Holt

Matthew is a Freelance Sports Journalist who also works for Manchester United, FourFourTwo and Reach PLC. He supports Scunthorpe United.

X

@_mattyholt

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Palmer, Foden, Bellingham and Rogers stats compared and England must put faith in one man

    Thomas Tuchel has only brought two number tens to the World Cup, but did he make the right choice looking at the stats?

    Football
  • Arsene Wenger gives his take on Jurgen Klopp leaving Liverpool at the end of the season
  • Rio Ferdinand repeats claim Bukayo Saka isn't world-class while on plane's mic during flight with Arsenal fans
  • Rio Ferdinand reveals Arsenal player DM'd him over criticism last season
  • Douglas Luiz fires back at Rio Ferdinand after he mocked him for celebration vs Man Utd, he's explained it