sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Utd star Diogo Dalot signs new long-term contract at Old Trafford
Home>Football
Updated 15:36 31 May 2023 GMT+1Published 15:11 31 May 2023 GMT+1

Man Utd star Diogo Dalot signs new long-term contract at Old Trafford

Romano gives a Man Utd contract update.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United star Diogo Dalot has signed a new long-term contract to remain at Old Trafford, the club have confirmed.

United have been in talks with the Portuguese right-back over an extension since the World Cup, with his original deal due to expire this summer.

But the club had an optional one-year extension in his contract, which they triggered at the end of December to avoid losing him on a free transfer at the end of the campaign.

As recently as March, however, Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo claimed that Barcelona had shortlisted the attack-minded defender as a summer target.

Advert

Now, United have committed Dalot to the club on a long-term basis, in a major boost for manager Erik ten Hag.

Dalot signs new contract

In an official statement on the club's website, United have confirmed that Dalot has signed fresh terms at Old Trafford, which will be valid until the summer of 2028.

Fabrizio Romano had earlier claimed that an official announcement would be made imminently, writing on Twitter: "New contract will be valid until June 2028. Ten Hag really wanted Dalot to stay as part of the project."

The 24-year-old was in superb form for United prior to the World Cup break, and started every Premier League game under Ten Hag until missing the 2-1 win over Fulham on November 13 through suspension.

Speaking earlier that month, the United boss told reporters: "I hope Diogo keeps progressing, so not only sticking to this level. Our approach, our philosophy, is that good is not good enough. We have to do better.

"But we're happy with the development and the performances of Diogo, that's quite clear."

While Dalot has since not quite been able to hit the same heights that he reached earlier in the campaign, partially due to the impressive form of the returning Aaron Wan Bissaka, the 24-year-old is still a key part of Ten Hag's project moving forward.

Now he has signed a new deal, the Portugal international will hope to push on even further - starting with helping United to defeat Manchester City in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Fabrizio Romano, Manchester United, Diogo Dalot, Premier League, Erik Ten Hag

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Hull City consider legal action hours before Southampton expulsion verdict

    The Tigers are considering taking major legal action to secure promotion to the Premier League.

    Football
  • Man Utd fans spot transfer leak at Old Trafford
  • Diogo Dalot Reveals Man Utd Players' True Thoughts on Fan Not Cutting His Hair
  • Diogo Dalot Sends Man Utd Player Telling Message After Ruben Amorim ‘Disrespect’
  • Mike Dean Issues Damning Verdict on Diogo Dalot Challenge vs Man City