Dele Alli breaks silence after Besiktas boss accused him of going ‘missing’
| Last updated
Dele Alli has broken his silence to deny claims made by the Besiktas manager that he went AWOL.
On Wednesday, Besiktas boss Senol Gunes sensationally claimed the on-loan Everton man has gone missing after failing to turn up for training.
Gunes said: “Dele Alli could not come at this time. It's raining, I guess that's why he couldn't come.
“We're trying to hear from him. We could not reach him by phone. Hopefully, he didn't have an accident.”
On the back of the claims, it was reported by The Echo that Alli’s agent confirmed he was given permission to travel to London for a medical appointment.
Later on in the evening, Alli posted a message on his Instagram to deny Gunes’ claims.
The 26-year-old wrote: “Hey guys just had loads of messages so wanted to clear something up.
“The club gave me permission to attend a doctor's appointment today. I'm due back in training tomorrow as normal.”
Alli’s time in Turkey with Besiktas has been nothing short of a disaster so far.
Back in January, the former Tottenham Hotspur man was criticised by his manager, who said: “Dele Alli has had a good career, but he doesn't deserve to play at the moment.”
Having previously said: “Let’s not discuss Dele Alli as a player, but he is below expectations in terms of efficiency.”
With his loan deal set to expire at the end of the 22/23 season, it is almost certain that Alli will return to Everton as Besiktas currently have no interest in making the loan deal permanent.
So far this season, Alli has made a total of 17 appearances for Besiktas across all competitions, scoring only three goals and has no assists to his name.
Can Alli recapture the form he showed during his first few years at Spurs? Only time will tell.
Featured Image Credit: PA/[email protected],@dele
Topics: Dele Alli, Besiktas, Turkish Super Lig, Turkey, Football