sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Dele Alli breaks silence on Besiktas manager comments that 'he didn't deserve to play'
Home>Football
Published 19:11 28 Jan 2023 GMT

Dele Alli breaks silence on Besiktas manager comments that 'he didn't deserve to play'

The ex Tottenham Hotspur player scored for the Turkish club in a Man Of The Match performance on Friday night

Dominic Booth

Dominic Booth

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Dele Alli admitted that he's fallen short of expectations since his loan move to Besiktas, but the former Tottenham Hotspur star believes he's now back on the right track.

Dele returned to form on Friday night with a Man Of The Match display in Besiktas' 3-0 win over Alanyaspor, which he capped with a goal – before doing a 'shushing' celebration.

The 26-year-old had previously struggled with the Turkish club – he's on loan for the season from Everton – and was criticised by his new boss Senol Gunes.

The manager, who replaced Valerian Ismael as Besiktas boss in October, pinpointed Dele as an underperforming player.

Dele Alli has scored for Besiktas!

It's his 2nd non-penalty league goal since January 2020. pic.twitter.com/zbNskgRMHE

— Matchday365 (@Matchday365) January 27, 2023

But Dele responded in fine style on Friday and was then asked about the comments after the match.

Advert

He said: "I'm happy to score a goal and get three points. We showed a strong performance in front of our fans.

"I may not have been able to deliver what was expected until now, but this match was an opportunity.

"I will try to contribute to the team as much as I can."

After his appointment earlier in the campaign, Gunes said: "Dele Alli has had a good career. But he doesn't deserve to play at the moment. The current situation has not met our expectations as a team.

"We expect him to contribute to the team, but we think he cannot contribute at the moment. We will evaluate it with him and the club. We prepared for the matches with the players here."

Dele now has two goals in 10 appearances for Besiktas and will need to improve his consistency if he's to get back to the kind of levels he showed as a Tottenham Hotspur player under Mauricio Pochettino.

Only Phil Foden, Wayne Rooney, Robbie Fowler and Ryan Giggs have matched Dele's achievement of winning two PFA Young Player of the Year awards in their careers – esteemed company for the ex MK Dons youngster, who has lost his way since Pochettino left Spurs.

Read more: Dele Alli's MOTM display to silence critics for Besiktas

Featured Image Credit: Besiktas Plus

Topics: Dele Alli, Besiktas, Turkish Super Lig

Dominic Booth
Dominic Booth

Dominic is a freelance journalist for SportBible who also works for the Evening Standard and Sporting News and was formerly a Manchester United writer and editor for the MEN. He's a big Test cricket fan and Arctic Monkeys obsessive.

X

@DomBooth19

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

    The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football
  • Dele Alli breaks silence after Besiktas boss accused him of going ‘missing’
  • Italian media make feelings clear on Dele Alli as former Spurs star 'considers retirement' amid Como issues
  • Dele Alli sends 'shushing' message to critics with Besiktas celebration after MOTM display
  • Everton flop Dele Alli breaks silence after requiring surgery on hip injury he sustained at Besiktas