Besiktas release statement after Man Utd bid for Wout Weghorst, they've made their feelings clear
| Last updated
Manchester United's move for Wout Weghorst has been plunged into doubt after Besiktas released a statement denying the so-called "imaginary" reports.
Erik ten Hag is on the hunt for a Cristiano Ronaldo replacement after the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's contract was mutually terminated, and Weghorst appears to be his number one target.
Reports emerged last week that suggest United are exploring a loan deal for the Burnley forward in a bid to provide attacking cover for Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial.
In fact, on Monday afternoon, it emerged that the Reds have already made an offer to his parent club Burnley, which has been passed on to Besiktas – a club he joined in the summer on a season-long loan.
But the Turkish club have rejected that proposal, according to The Manchester Evening News, who suggest Besiktas want to keep him until the end of the 2022/23 campaign.
On Monday afternoon, Besiktas denied reports that Weghorst's loan deal from Burnley can be terminated for just £2.2million with a statement.
It read: “After the match of our Football A Team against Kasimpasa in the Super League, there was a need to make a statement due to speculative news in the media about our football player Wout Weghorst.
“The claim that there is an exit clause in our football player’s contract, stating that his contract can be terminated with a compensation of 2.5 million Euros in case of an offer from the Premier League, is fictitious.
“However, the news that the player in question will leave the team on Tuesday is completely untrue. The initiative regarding Wout Weghorst belongs entirely to Beşiktaş Gymnastics Club.
“We also state that if there is a development on this issue, our esteemed community and the public will be informed.”
Many presumed Weghorst was saying goodbye to Besiktas fans on Saturday when he scored in their Super Lig clash against Kasımpaşa.
After scoring the winner, he appeared to mouth the word 'bye' as he waved to the crowd.
Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano says Manchester United are 'working to find a solution with Besiktas and Burnley' to get the Weghorst deal done.
He added that both player and club side are confident about making it happen, although this latest statement from the Turkish club suggests a deal is far from close.
Romano said: "Talks will continue as the player has been very clear. He doesn’t want to miss this big chance. Erik ten Hag wants him."