sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Benjamin Mendy released by Manchester City ahead of rape retrial
Home>Football
Updated 15:47 16 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 15:39 16 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Benjamin Mendy released by Manchester City ahead of rape retrial

He will leave Man City at the end of the month.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Benjamin Mendy will be released by Manchester City days after his retrial for rape is scheduled to begin.

Mendy, 28, will leave the Premier League champions when his contract expires at the end of the month.

The footballer, who became City's most expensive player when he joined from Monaco for £52m in 2017, has not played for the club in almost two years.

He was first arrested in November 2020 and later suspended by the club in August 2021, after he was charged with the rape and sexual assault of several different women.

Mendy was accused of seven counts of rape against four women, one count of attempted rape against a fifth woman and a further charge of sexual assault against a sixth woman.

During a five-month trial at Chester crown court, Mendy told jurors that the women who accused him of rape had all consented to sex.

He also denied groping the woman who claimed he had sexually assaulted her in his kitchen during a party as his mansion in Cheshire.

In February of this year, the former France international was cleared unanimously of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

But he will face a second trial, which is scheduled to begin on June 26, after the jury was unable to reach verdicts on a charge of raping one woman and attempting to rape another.

Mendy's co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie, was found not guilty of three charges of rape involving two women.

The jury was unable to reach verdicts on six other counts against the 41-year-old - four alleged rapes against three women and the alleged sexual assault of two women.

He will go on trial for those charges in the week commencing September 18.

Reacting to the result of the first trial, City released the following statement on Mendy: "Given there are open matters related to this case, the club is not in a position to comment further at this time."

City have now confirmed that Mendy will leave the club when his contract expires on June 30, days after his retrial is due to begin.

Terrell Agyemang, Rowan McDonald and Ilkay Gundogan have also been named on the club's released list, although contract negotiations are ongoing with Gundogan over a new deal at the Etihad.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Benjamin Mendy, Football, Manchester City, Premier League

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Middlesbrough lawyer speaks out after Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs

    Southampton have been kicked out of this season's EFL play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated in their place to take on Hull in the final.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Hull City's response to finding out Southampton have been thrown out of play-offs

    Hull City's response to discovering Southampton have been thrown out of the Championship playoffs meaning they will now face Middlesbrough.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Forgotten Aston Villa player on verge of football history after Europa League final win

    Aston Villa defeated Freiburg 3-0 to win the Europa League final.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Southampton lose appeal against EFL play-off expulsion as club issue 'extremely disappointing' statement

    Southampton were initially expelled from the EFL Championship play-off final against Hull City.

    Football
  • Ruben Dias THREW UP in Jack Grealish's mum's handbag during Man City celebrations
  • Previous player sales mean Man City have the 'biggest budget' in the history of football
  • Man City crowned most valuable football ‘brand’ ahead of Real Madrid
  • Manchester City are champions of Europe for the first time