To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

World Cup star Arsenal let go for free now valued at £40m, Barcelona are interested

Chris Byfield

Published 
| Last updated 

World Cup star Arsenal let go for free now valued at £40m, Barcelona are interested

Former Arsenal youngster Yunus Musah, who the Gunners let go for free, has been linked with a £40million move to Barcelona.

Musah picked up his 20th international cap during the US’ World Cup draw against Wales on Monday. On Friday, he will face England, the international side he represented from under-15 through to the under-18 level.

The midfielder, who was born in Brooklyn, New York, but raised in London, spent seven years in Arsenal’s academy before joining Valencia at 16.

The 19-year-old has quickly established himself as a key player in La Liga and is attracting interest from some of Europe’s elite.

Barcelona interest

Last week Musah’s agent Giacomo Guidolin admitted that Barcelona had expressed an interest in signing the US star. Guidolin admitted however that Serie A is perhaps a more likely destination.

The agent said: “Valencia intends to block (his sale). And I don’t think they will sell him for less than 30 or 40million next summer.

“They will still try to hold on to him. But, faced with certain figures, it’s difficult to refuse.

“Last summer, Barcelona carried out a survey. But the discussion did not develop. I see Serie A and the Premier League having an advantage for his future.

“To leave Valencia he needs an important project. He has to go and play the Champions League and European competitions continuously.”

Loading…

On Leaving Arsenal

Musah admitted that he left Arsenal to secure senior football.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, the Valencia star said: “That was one of the reasons I chose to move to Spain -- I felt at the time maybe, we’ll never know, that I wasn’t able to be in the Arsenal first team so early.

“Their team was really good and I felt at my age I could play first-team football and there was the chance to move to Valencia. Things turned out great. I’m very grateful for that.”

The 19-year-old’s decision to represent the US over England was also linked with a desire to play more first-team football.

Musah was first called up by the US in November 2020 but shortly afterwards England boss Gareth Southgate revealed he still wanted the teenager to represent the Three Lions.

The teenager explained: “I played for England for a few years. I had a really nice time with them, I have a lot of respect for them, for everything they’ve done for me, but Gareth Southgate I never had any conversations with, no.

“That decision was very difficult, because, as I said, I had a great time with England and that country did a lot for me, so when the time came to make the decision it was difficult.

“I made the decision because I was born in the US. That was one of the main things. Also, I got the opportunity at such a young age, that was something that I wanted to take. It was great when the manager called me and gave me that opportunity.

“I don’t think I know how I’m going to feel [facing England] that day. But it’s a special game for sure because I’ve played for both sides and to be able to be on the pitch with both national teams that I’ve played with is special.”

Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock

Topics: Arsenal, Barcelona, Football, USA, England, Football World Cup

Chris Byfield
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Granit Xhaka rattles entire Serbia bench by 'grabbing his nuts' in Switzerland win

5 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

4K image proves controversial Japan goal vs Spain was right to stand

19 hours ago