sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
F1 to return to track not used for six years after Bahrain and Saudi Arabia GP cancellations
Home>F1
Published 12:24 8 Apr 2026 GMT+1

F1 to return to track not used for six years after Bahrain and Saudi Arabia GP cancellations

F1 is ending six years away from the track...

Tom Jenkins

Tom Jenkins

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

F1 cars are ending a six year absence from the Nurburgring with a test confirmed following the cancellation of both Grands Prix in April.

There will be no F1 race in April for the first time since 2020 this year, with ongoing conflict in the Middle East meaning the Saudi Arabia and Bahrain Grands Prix could not go ahead.

It comes after a Pirelli wet-weather tyre test was already cancelled in Bahrain after BBC footage showed a missile hit the National Communication Centre ,which is only 15 miles from the circuit.

Following the cancellation, Pirelli have already made up for lost time after conducting wet running in Suzuka with Ferrari also set to conduct wet tests at Fiorano this week.

Advert

However, F1 are ready to maximise the April break, with Nurburgring now also confirmed to host a test on the 14th and 15th, with Mercedes and McLaren set to hit the famous circuit.

The teams will be using the 17-corner grand prix layout, after the Nordschleife, where Max Verstappen races in GT3, was dropped from F1 after the 1976 German Grand Prix due to safety concerns.

The podium last time F1 raced at the Nurburgring in 2020 (credit: getty)
The podium last time F1 raced at the Nurburgring in 2020 (credit: getty)

"Any kind of lap that you drive around there, in any kind of car, is always fun," Verstappen said about the circuit last year.

The Nordschleife is 22.8km long and has over 150 corners, with incidents such as Niki Lauda's famous fireball crash eventually resulting in F1 relocating to the Hockenheim circuit.

The layout used for F1 will have extensive run-off areas and advanced digital monitoring systems, in order to create the most suitable data-gathering conditions possible for the teams.

McLaren and Mercedes are yet to confirm their drivers for the test, but it is expected that both team's will split sessions between drivers over the two days.

F1 won't officially return until May 1 for the second sprint weekend of the season in Miami, as Ferrari and McLaren attempt to catch the dominant Mercedes.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Formula 1, Motorsport, Mercedes, McLaren

Tom Jenkins
Tom Jenkins

Tom Jenkins is a Social Editor and Journalist for SPORTBible. Specialises in Football and F1 but has experience covering a variety of sports such as MMA, Boxing and Cricket. Suffers weekly as an Evertonian.

X

@tomjenkns

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

26 days ago
27 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    26 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    27 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1
  • F1 team chief issues update on FIA cancelling Bahrain and Saudi Arabia Grand Prix
  • Kimi Antonelli furiously demands punishment after incident with teammate George Russell during Canada GP sprint
  • FIA president provides update on Christian Horner's F1 return plans
  • Bahrain GP replacements emerge as Middle East conflict plunges F1 season into chaos