sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Sky Sports reporter reveals what he's heard about confrontation between Max Verstappen and George Russell at Qatar Grand Prix
Home>F1
Updated 12:01 2 Dec 2024 GMTPublished 21:27 1 Dec 2024 GMT

Sky Sports reporter reveals what he's heard about confrontation between Max Verstappen and George Russell at Qatar Grand Prix

"They certainly won't leave this little snippet on the editing room floor..."

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Sky Sports reporter Ted Kravitz has provided an insight into a heated 'confrontation' between Max Verstappen and George Russell at the Qatar Grand Prix.

It has become the biggest talking point from this weekend's F1 action.

Ahead of Sunday's race, a furious Verstappen lost pole position for the Qatar Grand Prix after he was hit with a one-place grid penalty following an incident with Russell during the final part of qualifying.

Having secured the world title in Las Vegas last week, Verstappen produced a superb lap to seal pole but in a controversial twist, he was summoned to the stewards for driving too slowly in preparation for his fast lap.

Advert

Russell, meanwhile, accused him of "super dangerous" driving.

Verstappen ended up winning Sunday's race ahead of Charles Leclerc and Oscar Piastri but the incident in qualifying has left a bitter taste. In fact, he accused Russell of trying to “screw him over hard” in the stewards room after qualifying.

After the race on Sunday, Sky Sports reporter Ted Kravitz made some further claims about the ongoing situation, revealing that Verstappen confronted Russell in the drivers' parade holding room.

Kravitz even went as far as sharing what Verstappen said to the Mercedes driver.

He began: "The rumour is, and I'll think you'll find this when Drive to Survive airs in February because they certainly won't leave this little snippet on the editing room floor, that in the drivers' parade holding room, Max then confronted George, still seething, and said something along the lines of: 'You and your FIA mates, I hope you're happy with what you've done.'"

Kravitz added: "I think the actual quote was rather ruder than that but I'm not going to say what it was. But that seems to be the confrontation that Christian Horner was referring to. It all got a bit tasty between them."


ted: “but in the drivers parade holding room, max then confronted george, still seething, and said something along the lines of: “you and your fia mates, i hope you’re happy with what you’ve done.” i think the actual quote was ruder than that.”

OH 😭 pic.twitter.com/Lkv3rCfujB

— nini (@SCUDERIAFEMBOY) December 1, 2024

As mentioned above, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner confirmed that Verstappen and Russell had "a moment" during the pre-race drivers’ parade.

"He was annoyed with George, and the way things played out in front of the stewards yesterday. And he carried that motivation into the race," said Horner.

"It was clearly evident that he was super motivated going into this race. He got an amazing start and that whole first, second, third gear phase of the start, he was going to be the only car that was going to come out of Turn 1 in the lead.

"I think you could sense that George kind of sensed that as well. I think there was a little bit of a moment between the two of them on the trailer as they go around the circuit, that Max felt that things just went a bit too far yesterday."

It has also been suggested that Verstappen had told Russell pre-race that he was going to pass him into the first corner.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports - Getty Images

Topics: Max Verstappen, Formula 1, George Russell, Red Bull Racing, Mercedes

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • 'Luke the Nuke' gift set is the perfect Christmas present for darts fans
  • Max Verstappen wants ‘nothing to do’ with fellow F1 driver after ‘losing respect’ for him following Qatar Grand Prix incident
  • Max Verstappen fumes at George Russell in X-rated team radio during dramatic Canadian Grand Prix qualifying
  • Christian Horner's nine-word response to Sergio Perez's latest howler at F1 Qatar Grand Prix speaks volumes

Choose your content:

24 days ago
25 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    24 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    24 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    25 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    25 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1