Luke Littler opponent refuses to talk about him as 'rivalry' claim made

Home> Darts

Luke Littler opponent refuses to talk about him as 'rivalry' claim made

Littler is looking to capture his first European Tour title of the season.

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Luke Littler's next opponent at the Poland Darts Masters says he does not want to talk about the reigning world champion - due to the fear of 'firing him up'.

Littler, 19, is already a two-time world champion, having defeated Gian van Veen 7-1 in the final at Alexandra Palace last month to lift his second crown.

He then went to win the World Masters title - meaning he now just needs to win the European Championship to complete darts' Career Slam of major events.

'The Nuke' hasn't enjoyed the best start to the Premier League season, however, winning just one match across the opening three nights.

And given that he has opted not to enter any of the four Players Championship events this season, Littler finds himself in the extremely rare position of having some form to find heading into the opening European Tour event of 2026.

Luke Littler is the two-time reigning world champion (Image: Getty)
Luke Littler is the two-time reigning world champion (Image: Getty)

He takes on 2024 World Grand Prix champion Mike De Decker in the last 32 in Poland, having earned a bye through the first round through his world ranking of number one.

Littler defeated a distinctly under-par De Decker 3-0 at last year's World Grand Prix, with the Belgian averaging just 74 in defeat.

'The Nuke' then caused some controversy during his post-match interview, describing his victory as 'a bit boring at times'.

"Obviously I expected something from the reigning champion, but he just couldn't get those doubles to get him going on the scoring most of the time, and I just had to do my job," he said.

Although there were clearly no malice in Littler's matter-of-fact comments, he was criticised by former World Championship quarter-finalist Vincent van der Voort, who said it was 'inappropriate and not very respectful'.

He did add, while speaking on his 'Darts Drait Door' podcast: "But at the same time, it adds a bit of spice. Hopefully De Decker will take that personally and go into their next match with fire in his belly."

De Decker has never responded to Littler's comments, but certainly put in an improved performance during the World Masters, where he missed a match dart to dump the world number one out of the tournament.

Littler defeated De Decker at the World Masters (Image: Getty)
Littler defeated De Decker at the World Masters (Image: Getty)

He was asked by a reporter ahead of Saturday's clash in Poland about the 'rivalry' that has developed between himself and Littler - and he gave a firm answer in response.

"It was a good game [at the World Masters]," the Belgian told Tungsten Tales ahead of the pair's match-up in Poland. "If you get a match dart against the world number one and the player whose been dominating the sport for the past two years, you're doing a good job.

"Hopefully I do that again, but we'll worry about that [on Saturday].

"I'm not going to speak out, because then he'll be fired up, and I don't want him to be fired up. We'll see."

Rob Cross told Oche180 earlier this month that Littler would be 'fired up' after losing on night one of the Premier League to Gian van Veen.

"He's played against the best players in the world for the last two years over a short format," Cross said. "Yet he's reached both Premier League finals, and won one of them. So he's not that vulnerable over the short format, is he?

"Luke won't be bothered by his opening night defeat to Gian. But it might make him a bit more fired-up."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Luke Littler, Darts