To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
City Xtra

Pep Guardiola confirms Manchester City's January transfer plans ahead of Chelsea tie

Vayam Lahoti

Published 
| Last updated 

Pep Guardiola confirms Manchester City's January transfer plans ahead of Chelsea tie

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed his plans for the January transfer window as he prepares his side to face Chelsea in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday.

The Premier League champions return to cup action after snatching an injury-time winner against Fulham at the weekend.

Julian Alvarez gave the hosts the lead with a thumping finish after Ilkay Gundogan played the young Argentine through on goal.

Julian Alvarez, Manchester City.
Julian Alvarez, Manchester City.

Guardiola's men went down to 10 men after Joao Cancelo conceded a penalty shortly after, with Andreas Pereira levelling from 12 yards to make things square ahead of the interval.

Erling Haaland was brought on in the second half to make the difference and the Norwegian superstar converted from the spot himself in injury time after Kevin De Bruyne was fouled right at the death.

City enjoyed a stellar transfer window this summer, signing Erling Haaland, Julian Alvarez, Manuel Akanji, Stefan Ortega, Sergio Gomez and Kalvin Phillips.

Erling Haaland, Manchester City.
Erling Haaland, Manchester City.

The Blues also recovered a significant amount through the sales of Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus, who joined Chelsea and Arsenal respectively for a combined fee reaching £100 million.

Quizzed about any potential incomings at the Etihad Stadium midway through the campaign, Guardiola confirmed City will not be making any fresh acquisitions in the January transfer window.

Speaking in a press conference ahead of City's cup tie with Chelsea on Wednesday, the Catalan said: "Manchester City are not going to sign anyone in January. We have the squad."

Kalvin Phillips makes his Man City debut (Sportimage / Alamy)
Kalvin Phillips makes his Man City debut (Sportimage / Alamy)

Manchester City added depth to each of the key areas of their squad in the summer, solving an important personnel issue by signing Sergio Gomez from RSC Anderlecht.

Kalvin Phillips has been unlucky with a series of injuries since he signed from Leeds United, as the England international faces a race against time to be fit in time for the World Cup in Qatar.

Despite the array of talent across the first-team squad, Kyle Walker's recent absence through injury has given young Rico Lewis the opportunity to impress at right-back.

Rico Lewis, Manchester City.
Rico Lewis, Manchester City.

The Manchester City academy graduate scored on his full Champions League debut against Sevilla last week, levelling for the Blues before Julian Alvarez and Riyad Mahrez struck to seal a 3-1 triumph.

City are competing on all fronts again after retaining the Premier League title for the second time under Guardiola in dramatic fashion on the last day of last season.

The Blues came up just short in the Champions League semi-final against eventual champions and holders Real Madrid, with City again failing to get over the line in Europe under Pep Guardiola.

There remains hope at the Etihad Stadium that the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich manager will sign a two-year extension before his current contract expires at the end of the season.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Manchester City, Manchester City Transfer News & Rumours, Football, Transfers, Premier League, Pep Guardiola, Chelsea, Carabao Cup, Erling Haaland, Julian Alvarez, Kalvin Phillips

Vayam Lahoti
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Boxing

A vulnerable Mike Tyson once stopped an interview and told reporter to leave after becoming emotionally overwhelmed

an hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Jamal Musiala was utterly brilliant for Germany vs Spain, if only he were warming the bench for England

7 hours ago