sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mike Tyson makes strict demand about new date for Jake Paul fight after postponement
Home>Boxing>Boxing News
Published 12:55 1 Jun 2024 GMT+1

Mike Tyson makes strict demand about new date for Jake Paul fight after postponement

Tyson has issued one demand about a new date for the fight.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mike Tyson has made a strict demand about the new date for his fight against Jake Paul.

Tyson, 57, and Paul, 27, were set to go head-to-head in the ring at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on July 20.

The rules for the professional fight included 10 rounds of two minutes and 14 ounce gloves, heavier than usual.

The historic bout was set to be streamed on Netflix, but on Friday evening the fight was cancelled.

Advert

Last month Tyson fell ill onboard an aircraft just before it left Miami for Los Angeles, and it turned out that the legendary boxer suffered an ulcer flare-up.

On Friday Paul's promotional company MVP announced Tyson is unable to train due to the ulcer, forcing the fight to be called off.

"During a follow up consultation on Thursday with medical professionals on his recent ulcer flare up, the recommendation is for Mike Tyson to do minimal to light training over the next few weeks and then return to full training with no limitations," read the statement.

"Both Mike and Jake are in agreement that it is only fair to ensure that both athletes have equal training time to prepare for this important match and are able to compete at the highest level.

"The health and well-being of athletes is our top priority, and we fully support Mike in taking the necessary time to allow him to perform at the level he expects of himself."

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul's fight has been postponed. Image: Getty
Mike Tyson and Jake Paul's fight has been postponed. Image: Getty

Paul's older brother Logan has offered to replace Tyson, but the 57-year-old has promised fans that the fight will happen later this year.

According to boxing journalist Michael Benson, Tyson told Paul's team that he wants the fight to be rescheduled for the final quarter of 2024, meaning the new date will be between October and December.

At present a new date has not been confirmed.

Tyson said in a statement: "I want to thank my fans around the world for their support and understanding during this time. Unfortunately, due to my ulcer flareup, I have been advised by my doctor to lighten my training for a few weeks to rest and recover.

"My body is in better overall shape than it has been since the 1990s and I will be back to my full training schedule soon. Jake Paul, this may have bought you some time, but in the end you will still be knocked out and out of boxing for good.

"I appreciate everyone’s patience and can't wait to deliver an unforgettable performance later this year."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Boxing, Mike Tyson, Jake Paul, Logan Paul

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

a day ago
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Why Venezuela Fury could be married aged 16 after Tyson's blessing

    The pair tied the knot during a lavish ceremony on Saturday, May 16.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Tyson Fury gives emotional wedding speech after telling Venezuela 'not to do it'

    Tyson Fury has given an emotional wedding speech for his daughter Venezuela, after warning her 'not to do it'.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Paris Fury reveals why Tommy didn't attend Venezuela's wedding as Molly-Mae left alone

    Paris Fury has revealed why Tommy was not at Venezuela's wedding with Molly-Mae Hague.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Man arrested at Venezuela Fury's wedding as four police cars called

    Tyson Fury's daughter Venezuel, 16, married Noah Price at a ceremony on Saturday.

    Boxing
  • Mike Tyson sends demand to Jake Paul after Katie Taylor beats Amanda Serrano for the third time and he's already reacted
  • Mike Tyson confirms his next fight after losing to Jake Paul
  • Terence Crawford 'exposes' Jake Paul and Mike Tyson 'script' to Joe Rogan
  • Jake Paul makes Mike Tyson $1 million bet and legendary boxer agrees under one condition