| Last updated
It's official: Mike Tyson is back.
The legendary boxer and personality has reportedly signed a deal to fight former world champ Roy Jones Jr in California in September.
It's understood the fight will be an eight-round exhibition bout between two of boxing's greatest.
The announcement comes after months of waiting for eager fight fans, who had only seen glimpses of 54-year-old Tyson's intense training drills in videos that had surfaced on social media.
It sparked the question as to whether 'Iron Mike' was genuinely serious about a comeback - now, it appears that question has been answered.
I. AM. BACK. #legendsonlyleague. September 12th vs @RealRoyJonesJr on #Triller and PPV #frontlinebattle @TysonLeague pic.twitter.com/eksSfdjDzK
- Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) July 23, 2020
He told TMZ Sports: "At one time I was 40kg overweight, I was doing bad - I was doing cocaine, I was drinking - and I said 'Allah, if you can stop me being this way, I'll change my whole life' and eventually I got married, my life started to change and I started working out.
"I don't know how this happened, I'm just very grateful I'm not living the life I was living before.
"It's going to be for various charities so no one has to worry about me getting rich, or getting jealous or saying I'm doing this for money. I just feel good doing this because I can
"I'm in great shape, but I'm going to get in better condition."
Clearly an extortionate payday awaits for the ageing warrior-turned-marijuana farmer, but the sheer prospect of seeing Tyson bob and weave under the bright lights of a Californian arena has now has even the most skeptical of fight fans licking their lips.
Only a couple of days ago, many thought Tyson was poised to make his long-awaited comeback in a bare knuckle fighting promotion.
Reports suggested that Tyson had been offered a whopping $20million for a one-fight contract by with Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship president David Feldman.
But as you can see, cashing a cheque at the end of the day clearly isn't the driving force behind this biblical boxing return tale.
Like Tyson said: "I feel unstoppable now, the gods of war have reawakened me. They've ignited my ego and want me to go to war again."
And it appears his wishes have been granted with Tyson and Jones Jr having already met with the California State Athletic Commission to finalise the deal.
After hanging up the gloves back in 2005, Mike Tyson is finally back. Who would have thought?
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read