To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Manchester United deny suggestions they are considering terminating Cristiano Ronaldo's contract

Cain Smith

Published 
| Last updated 

Manchester United deny suggestions they are considering terminating Cristiano Ronaldo's contract

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Manchester United have denied reports that they are considering terminating Cristiano Ronaldo's contract with the club.

Following the embarrassing 4-0 loss against Brentford, Sky Sports reported that United want to see a change in Cristiano Ronaldo's attitude or they may have to consider terminating his contract.

Paul Hirst of The Times followed up on this claiming that both players and coaches at Old Trafford are growing increasingly frustrated with the conduct of the Portuguese international.

The article added that senior figures have questioned whether it is worth keeping the 37-year-old given that he has told executives that he wants to leave.

Cristiano Ronaldo frustrated against Brentford (Alamy)
Cristiano Ronaldo frustrated against Brentford (Alamy)

It was also mentioned that Ronaldo’s demeanour is said to be worsening the atmosphere at the club’s Carrington training ground, with one source describing the Portugal forward as “a walking bad mood”.

Ronaldo was absent from United's pre-season tour because of family issues, but he also asked to leave the club before he was due to report to Carrington at the beginning of June.

In his search for a new team, who are playing in the Champions League, Ronaldo and his agent has been unsuccessful in convincing anyone to sign him.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Jorge Mendes (Alamy)
Cristiano Ronaldo and Jorge Mendes (Alamy)

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly met with Jorge Mendes, Ronaldo's agent, last month but have distanced themselves from any possible deal, as have Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid.

After the full-time whistle was blown at the Gtech Community Stadium on Saturday, Ronaldo walked straight down the tunnel and appeared to ignore assistant manager Steve McClaren on his way.

However, those reports previously cited have been denied by United, as per Samuel Luckhurst of the Manchester Evening News.

He added that the club's stance on the player has not changed. They still want him to stay at Old Trafford.

The forward was on the bench on the opening weekend against Brighton, with Ten Hag stating he was not ready to start the game.

At Brentford, Ronaldo started but was unable to get into the game, with United down 4-0 at half-time.

Despite the problems throughout the summer, United will be desperate to keep the striker, with no other number nines on their books other than Anthony Martial, who has shown his unreliability fitness-wise in recent weeks.

However, Ten Hag is desperate for more signings before the end of the window.

He has had just three new players join his squad in Tyrell Malacia, Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen.

"We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join," he told Sky Sports after the loss on Saturday.

Cain Smith
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

England star absolutely destroyed by fans online after 3-3 draw with Germany

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

England fans slam Harry Maguire after he concedes penalty against Germany

5 hours ago