Nick Kyrgios Charged With Assaulting His Former Girlfriend In Australia
Tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend Chiara Passari, according to reports in the Australian media.
Kyrgios, 27, is set to appear in a Canberra court next month over the alleged assault which is said to have taken place last year, according to the Canberra Times.
An Australian Capital Territory (ACT) policing spokesperson in Canberra said: "ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021."
The charge is said to be in relation to Kyrgios allegedly grabbing his former partner Passari.
If found guilty, he could face up to two years in jail.
Barrister Jason Moffett confirmed he had been briefed in the matter and that his client Kyrgios was aware of the charge.
He told the Canberra Times: "It's in the context of a domestic relationship.
"The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.
"Given the matter is before the court... he doesn't have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we'll issue a media release."
Kyrgios, the world number 40, is currently playing at Wimbledon and is through to the quarter-finals of the men's singles after defeating Brandon Nakashima in five sets on Monday.
Krygios is set to face Cristian Garin in the last eight on Wednesday.